Finished ringnecks

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Finished ringnecks

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Finished up some ringnecks this morning. Some are headed to Florida, some are staying in California, and a couple are headed to Washington. Imagine that, my ducks are migrating.

Mean Gene
hunter

Re: Finished ringnecks

Postby mudpack » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:28 pm

The drakes are pretty good. The hens aren't there yet.
The side stripes are the most obvious glitch. Then, one of the identifying characteristics of the hen is the coloration of the head. Look at some pictures of hen Ringnecked Ducks....then look at yours. See how, on the real duck, the bottom half of the head is noticeably lighter than the top half? This is what screams "ringneck", rather than Redhead or Scaup.

Your work is getting noticeably better with each batch of blocks. Keep it up.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:20 pm

mudpack wrote:The drakes are pretty good. The hens aren't there yet.
The side stripes are the most obvious glitch. Then, one of the identifying characteristics of the hen is the coloration of the head. Look at some pictures of hen Ringnecked Ducks....then look at yours. See how, on the real duck, the bottom half of the head is noticeably lighter than the top half? This is what screams "ringneck", rather than Redhead or Scaup.

Your work is getting noticeably better with each batch of blocks. Keep it up.

I can lighten the hen head bottoms a little tomorrow. I've seen lots of pictures, some have a lighter bottom, some do not. The one thing that's consistent with ducks is they're all different. The sides look better as you get away. At 30+ yards they're just right. I can play around with future birds, but I'd much rather have a bird look good at 30 yards and beyond than at arm's length. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby blackwagon » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:19 am

They look amazing to me good job
blackwagon
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:36 am

Also mudpack, thanks for continuing to push me, just like I asked you to do. I appreciate different perspectives. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:59 am

They look pretty good !
I'll bet that from 200 yards out the ducks will be completely fooled,....all the way in to 30 yards !!

I've never carved a ringneck, don't get many where I hunt in a shallow coastal river/marsh.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:14 am

Mean Gene wrote:I can lighten the hen head bottoms a little tomorrow. I've seen lots of pictures, some have a lighter bottom, some do not. The one thing that's consistent with ducks is they're all different. :

What I believe you are seeing is inconsistency in the photos, not inconsistencies in the ducks themselves. Either that or, immature hens/eclipse drakes vs. mature hens. Unless we're dealing with a hybrid or a bird that has been injured or diseased, all the birds of a specie have the same coloration in the same places.

Mean Gene wrote:The sides look better as you get away. At 30+ yards they're just right. I can play around with future birds, but I'd much rather have a bird look good at 30 yards and beyond than at arm's length. :thumbsup:

All novice carvers take note; it's just as easy to make a bird that looks "just right" in the hand as it is to make one that looks right only from 30 yards away....and the bird that looks good in the hand WILL look good from 30 yards away. All it takes is attention to detail.

I'm not just picking on Gene, here. I see this so much, and I was guilty of it myself when I first started carving; we make a bird based on what we think it looks like rather than what it actually looks like. A carver who wants to improve has to learn to look at the bird in "sections", not as a whole. Sometimes we have to literally look at a bird feather-by-feather, if we're going to be 100% accurate in our work.

Will be very interested in seeing that next batch of ringnecks, Gene. My criticisms are meant to be of the constructive type. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby slayer73 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:00 am

what kind of wood are you using for your keels if you dont mind me asking, also what is the notch on the back side of the keel for? sorry for the newbie question but it struck me different without a notch on the front of the keel. Thanks!
slayer73
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum