Magnum repaint

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Magnum repaint

Postby lockednloaded » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:23 pm

Rainy day project...take a beat-to-crap magnum mallard like these (I don't have a pic of the actual one I repainted) and convert it to a goose floater. Bout the size of a cackler. Not the most ideal but it'll hunt! ;)Image

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
lockednloaded
hunter

Re: Magnum repaint

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:10 am

lockednloaded wrote:Rainy day project...take a beat-to-crap magnum mallard like these (I don't have a pic of the actual one I repainted) and convert it to a goose floater. Bout the size of a cackler. Not the most ideal but it'll hunt! ;)Image

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]

Not a bad idea for anyone tight on money. Looks great! Chin strap could be a little less obtrusive.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby Black Smoke » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:46 am

looks good man! good way to add numbers to a goose spread especially if you see a mix of subspecies around where you'll be hunting.
Black Smoke
hunter

Postby lockednloaded » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks for the comments! Yeah, tight on money is right. I just got access for the first time to a goose spot, so I'm gonna have to do a lot of improvising until I can afford actual goose dekes.

KillerKowalski wrote:Not a bad idea for anyone tight on money. Looks great! Chin strap could be a little less obtrusive.

Does it need to be more narrow on the cheek or under the chin?

lockednloaded
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:56 am

lockednloaded wrote:Does it need to be more narrow on the cheek or under the chin?

Yes. Use this picture as a reference. I would say under could be tighter and the sides could be narrower. Maybe a little at a 45 degree angle also. Take my words with a grain since I never have repainted, but I do have an eye for details.

Keep up the good work. These will attract geese no doubt. If you have painting skills like you have shown, hit up CL and find decoys for really cheap and repaint them. Believe me I have seen wonders done with old decoys.
Attachments
Canada Chinstrap.jpg
Canada Chinstrap.jpg (31.13 KiB) Viewed 546 times
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:01 pm

This is a first I have seen ducks turned into goose decoys! They look really nice. Don't worry about a ton of detail. Birds flying at 20+ mph, 100 feet off the ground, won't notice detail. If they are close enough to see the detail of your decoys, they should be close enough to kill. Great pics!!
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Nice, I did this to some g&h supermag mallards back in college. Still have a few laying around
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Man I'm glad you posted this, I just asked about doing this the other day and got no feedback. Looks like I'll be going forward with the project, great post up.
LiquidA45
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum