Making Lead Weights

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Making Lead Weights

Postby duckincrazy » Fri Feb 27, 2004 8:02 am

I was looking into making my own lead weights, anyone have any tips or precautions before I get started?
duckincrazy
hunter

Postby pullman41 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:15 pm

I've never done it, but make sure your work area is ventilated!
pullman41
hunter

Postby 2rivers » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:47 pm

make sure your lead is dry or it will pop and throw hot lead all over
2rivers
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:49 am

:idea: Yeah I have some advice allright! Do NOT do it!!!

It is very harmful to you--the vapers contain lead and you get lead all over the places where ever the fumes reach. Little kids and Preg women can be harmed seriously. I got lead poisoned while doing it :cry: To save a couple of bucks is foolish and NOT worth the potential risks.

Enough said.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby phillipstd » Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:10 pm

just do it in the garage with the door open or somethin, I've welded and sauterd with lead for hundred's of hours, still fine, and still fertile, just don't be stupid about it, do it with ventalation and you'll be fine, I seen a guy the other day doin some spun stran fiberglass duct work with bare hands and washing them off every couple minutes with acetone, wich takes whatever's on the outside of your hands and soaks it into your skin, he was like 65 and had been doin it like that for 30 years, he should be dead,
phillipstd
hunter

Postby mattman48732 » Sun May 09, 2004 8:11 am

To all,
The act of melting lead is perfectly safe. As long as your pot temperature does not exceed 825 degrees farenheit (this is the temperature at which lead vaporizes).

Matt
mattman48732
hunter

Postby duckkiller7 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:08 am

Theres nothing wrong with melting your own weights. A person just needs to have a little common sense when doing it. I do mine in my garage with a fan about 15 feet away turned on to keep the fumes blowing out the garage door. Most people aren't going to get there lead to hot because if your making them as you go, your going to be emptying your pot faster than you can melt more lead.
Just go to your local machine or tooling shop to get a good mold made. A person can also use a cupcake pan if they want to put a wire or a large staple in for the loop. I still suggest going and haveing a good mold made like a turtle weight. Make sure you do it on a dry day too. Don't do it when its real damp out or raining either. The other thing I use is a good pair of welding gloves. Very nice for using to dump your molds out, and using to hold onto your ladle or scoop. A Turkey fryer is what I use to heat up the lead with a old grill creat to hold up the cast iron pot. Works great for me.
duckkiller7
hunter

Postby bigreave » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:42 pm

I make my own wieghts just do it outside and dont inhale the fumes saves a lot if you have old castnets fishing wieght etc.
bigreave
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:13 pm

I have a mold for 8 oz. mushroom weights and poured 145 of them a year or so ago. Whatever you do make sure there is no water on the lead or in the container you're melting it in. Also, if you have a router you can route a design in it and pour your lead into it. I have also heard of people using cheap muffin tins.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Huntinracer » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:17 pm

Ive always melted my weights outside on a dry day.. The last time I made weights it was 3 years ago and I melted 50 lbs for hunting weights and fishing weights...now im fixin to make more decoy weights...good luck with the melting...just use common sence and youll be fine..
I have Hunted almost everyday of my life, The rest has been wasted!!!!!!
-Primos
Huntinracer
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:03 pm

WHY? just go to Academy and buy them for .59, but if you do decide to do it make sure you are in a ventilated area.
texan68
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:51 pm

Why make my own?

8 oz. mushroom weights around here go for about $.99 per weight with 8.5% sales tax. The mold cost me $30 including shipping and a 10 pack of small propane tanks for my Coleman stove for $15. I get my lead for free, so instead of paying over $200 for 200 weights I made them for $45 and a weekend of my time. I have a very large spread and making my own weights saved me enough money to buy almost two doz. magnum G&H's.

That's why I make my own. :thumbsup: :laughing:

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:04 pm

I was talking to duckincrazy :getdown:
texan68
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:04 am

Well I have never been shy about sharing my opinion whether it was asked for or not. :laughing: :laughing:

I'll shut up now! :toofunny:

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum