Mojo ON the boat?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Mojo ON the boat?

Postby NW_Vermont » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:33 pm

I 'suppose this is the right forum...

I have a "traditional" Mojo spinning wing decoy. I hunt out of a boat blind.

The water in my hunting area is high, making it hard to put out the Mojo stake. Also, I might be hunting open, deeper water later in the season?

What are your thoughts to mounting a mojo on my boat blind? I understand that it may annoy me, but wouldn't it still work if it was spinning about 4-5 feet above my blind? It would be out of the line of fire, of course.

Thoughts?

NW
NW_Vermont
hunter

Re: Mojo ON the boat?

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:54 pm

I tried finding it in the Mack's Prarie Wings website but had no luck but I know it's in their newest catalogue. It's a floating stand that is anchored or tied down with an attachement for your mojo and it adds ripples to your spread. Check it out and it was under $40 I believe or you can just make one yourself.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby cONG » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:01 pm

put it on your boat and tell me if it works
cONG
hunter

Postby cnc123 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm not a huge fan of mojos, but there are a few things about using them I found important. I personally think placing one on your boat is a mistake. Why would you want to draw more attention to your blind? I have found, Mojos are best used at the edge of your spread on the up wind side......away from your blind. It is difficult to get decoying birds to fly over your spinners to your spread. Likewise, I never used them on a cloudy day. Spinners are meant to imitate the sun flashing off the underside of a ducks wings. I also think its a little early in the year for mojos. Local ducks learn fast, mojos shoot at them. But hey, I am curious if the boat mounted mojo works for you. Good luck and be sure to post your results, but please be honest and post your results even if you get a negative reaction.
cnc123
hunter

Location: Wisconsin - On Ol' Man River waiting for first ice.

Postby texan68 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:48 pm

Tred Barta rigged his spinners up on his boat as well as on some sort of floating device. Seemed to work just fine for sea ducks. I think it was on the same episode he pissed in his waders. :no:

The only problem I can think of would be all the attention directed on the boat/blind. I know I would have a problem down here hunting the bay..... pintails are some wary birds.
Leave it better than you found it. Pick up your empties.
texan68
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:13 am

Still can't find it online but it was $79 in their catalogue. I'm sure you could get styrofoam then paint it camo for a lot cheaper.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby ntx_duckster » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:10 am

Try it. What could it hurt?
ntx_duckster
hunter

Postby duckdozer » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:33 am

yep why would you want to draw more attn to your blind? just goto the local hardware store and buy some of the square conduit and a D shaped lynch pin drill a hole in your new extension and your old stake and put them together, thats what I did it cost me like 8 bucks for a 4ft piece of square steel and a lynch pin, I also had one of the spring loaded buttons break on the top piece and I used a lynch pin to fix that see the 4th pic. Or get a mojo floater. pics below. all put together it is just under 6ft, this was added to my mojo teal stake to get it visible.

mojostake 001.JPG

mojostake 002.JPG

mojostake 003.JPG

mojostake 004.JPG
Aux Lake H Maxine NAVHDA NA Prize 2 103pts
Retrieves Season #1 ('13) 185
Season #2 ('14) 197
Season #3 ('15) 96
Mallyard wrote:LOL... Truck+Gas+Basic Knowledge of Waterfowl habits = chance at sucess!
duckdozer
hunter

Postby sooner_hunter » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:59 am

I use mojos alot and have good luck with them. I ran into the same problem last year in some deep water. My solution was a 12ft piece of round conduit. I made a coupling out of aluminum to join the round conduit to the square mojo mount and bolted it together. Slap some paint on it and your good to go. I later found that using that extension in shallower water, making the mojo several feet above the water, got the attention of ducks from alot longer distances.
Totals 09-10
Dove:234 Canadas:54 Gadwall:44 Woodies:4 Shovelers:4 Pintail:2 Widgeon:15 Snows:3
Redhead:5 Mallards:75 Bufflehead:3 Ringneck:10 BANDS:3 Quail:27 Teal:5 Specks:2
Hooded Merganser:1
sooner_hunter
hunter

Postby waterrat2 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:57 pm

We had the same problem for sea ducks. We ended up making a floating platform with a tire inner tube, and anchor and a piece of plywood. It took some freigging around to get it balanced, but worked great.
waterrat2
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:57 pm

waterrat2 wrote:We had the same problem for sea ducks. We ended up making a floating platform with a tire inner tube, and anchor and a piece of plywood. It took some freigging around to get it balanced, but worked great.

I think that is what Tred Barta was using. Seemed to work well for open, deep water situations
Leave it better than you found it. Pick up your empties.
texan68
hunter

Postby POKER1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 pm

Get one of these or you could probably make one pretty easy out of foam board.

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-DBC1S
POKER1
hunter

Postby PnR_Productions » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:06 am

I just got a piece of 3/4" conduit and cut it off at about 7.5 feet, it works greats and all i had to do was shave a tiny bit off the mojo to fit it in the conduit.
P&R Productions
2013 Count:
Too many to count ;)
Would someone please pay me to hunt cuz this college stuff takes up to much hunting time!
PnR_Productions
hunter

Postby Major Woods » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:09 pm

I have two floating stands, solves the problem of usage in deep water. It works so well i don't use the pole any longer even in shallow water.
Thousands on the boat.
Hundreds on decoys.
Time away from the wife....priceless
Major Woods
hunter

Postby MrFloat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:56 am

Hey fellas,

Floating stands are the way to go! Much easier and much better to use and they hardly have any limitations! Check out www.floatstand.com and watch our youtube video to see how well the FLOATSTAND works!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IskFgIXFO1I
MrFloat
DHC Sponsor

Postby BuckCreek » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:55 am

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=166929... this will show you how to make a stand. I have had one for several years welded out of aluminum in a plus sign pattern with 4 decoys bolted to it. The longer the suppostrs the higher you can put mojo off the water.
BuckCreek
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum