Mojo stake

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Mojo stake

Postby MaineHunter » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:43 am

What's everyone using for a stake for their mojo's? The one that came with my baby mojo is too short. I was thinking a piece of emt conduit.. Anyone else use anything else?
MaineHunter
hunter

Re: Mojo stake

Postby POKER1 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:28 pm

3/4" electrical conduit smashed flat on 1 end to keep it from filling with mud when you drive it in. The stake on the decoy is square but you can slightly round the edges and it fits great. Or the conduit will round it off for you when you first use the conduit. Cheap and easy to use. Leave them out in front the blinds and have a couple 5's for wading.
POKER1
hunter

Postby Erie » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:15 pm

POKER1 wrote:3/4" electrical conduit smashed flat on 1 end to keep it from filling with mud when you drive it in. The stake on the decoy is square but you can slightly round the edges and it fits great. Or the conduit will round it off for you when you first use the conduit. Cheap and easy to use. Leave them out in front the blinds and have a couple 5's for wading.

Exactly what I did. Use some rustolium paint and all is right in the world.
WWA member
NRA lifetime member
DU member
Erie
hunter

Postby Quackie » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:34 am

The first time I used my 2 new baby mojos last year, I could barely get their butts out of the water. Had to cannibalize the two poles to make one longer pole. Only could use one mojo. :no: Here's how i fixed the problem:

Get a length of 1/2 inch square aluminum tubing. I use a four foot long piece but you can get them longer. I could not find it in hardware stores but it exists on line if you look. This will essentially replace the short skinny 1/2 inch bottom section of your original stake. drill a hole about two inches from one end of your new aluminum tube. make your hole the same diameter as the hole near the end of your middle section of your original mojo stake. pin the two sections together. I use a hitch pin. They should fit snug, not wobble, and be easy to set up and take down. pound the other end of your new aluminum tube shut so it won't collect mud. My rig is about six feet tall. I made two. They separate in the middle so I can load them on a sled or cart without long poles hangin' out. They are light weight and do not rust, well, the aluminum parts anyway. (You don't use the bottom section of the original stake unless you are in shallow water or dry land or you want to create an effect of two mojos flying at different altitudes.) :beer: If you need more specifics, let me know.
Quackie
hunter

Postby IRISH56 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:43 am

I did basically the same as the above post. At the time I hunted a mostly rock bottom lake so driving the stake in was next to impossible so I had a plate welded to the bottom and used rocks to hold it in place. Did not work well so I had to abandon it on rocky bottoms. When I hunt soft bottoms using the square tube extension driven into the bottom works great.

I am thinking the way to go now is the floating base .... works in any situation.

DAN
IRISH56
hunter

Postby Redeye120 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:10 pm

I got an old graphite golf club, roughed it and put some cheap flat paint on it. I then used metal crimps in 2 places to attach to current pole and painted over the crimps. Goes in great and even has some movement when the wind blows...easy and cheap to do. If you are not a golfer, go to a pawn shop and just buy the cheap golf club with a graphite shaft. If you dont want to spend any money I would find a local golf shop where they re shaft clubs and ask for an old used shaft, they will probably give it to you....good luck!
Redeye120
hunter

Postby Mudhole » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:51 am

I cut a inch or so off the orginal stake and welded that to a piece of 3/4 square tubing cut to the lenght ya want, then cut a V outta the bottom and closed it off the make a point!
________Mudhole________
Waterfowl Population Control
Building a boat blind:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=67602
Paintin your boat:
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=72&t=146292
Mudhole
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:31 am

I have about 10 different pieces of EMT all different lenghts painted. If you buy one of those EMT to EMT connectors (I am not an electrician so I have no idea what they are called, its the female/female doo-hickey to attach to like pieces) and then buy the Live Action Kit that Mojo makes, that live action kit goes right in to that connector, then connect the hole thing to the emt and you are golden.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby badbowtie » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:03 pm

We use 3/4 emt and 1/2 emt and make "telescoping" poles. Usually have about 5 ft (whatever you want) of 3/4. Hammer one end of it so it slides into mud easily and does not get full of mud. Then the other end you slide a piece of 1/2 emt into it and leave about 6 inches sticking out past the 3/4. Now cut a small 10 inch peice of 3/4 to put over the 1/2. weld or bolt the smaller 10 inch piece of 3/4 to the 1/2. Now about 2 inches down the long 3/4 from the top drill a hold in one side of the wall and weld a nut on. Now take two bolts and make a T bolt. Now you have a telescoping mojo pole.
badbowtie
State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:30 pm

I bought the extension poles from Mack's and get 12 feet or less depending on how you snap 'em together. It wasn't that expensive.
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby MrFloat » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 am

Hey fellas,

We all have had the same frustration with the robo poles not being ideal on almost every hunt. Now there is the FLOATSTAND! It floats almost any spinner in all kinds of situations, even rough weather. Check out our website at www.floatstand.com and watch our youtube video to see how well it works! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IskFgIXFO1I
MrFloat
DHC Sponsor

Return to Duck Decoy Forum