Wood duck decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Wood duck decoys

Postby cfaulk33 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:43 pm

I've been thinking about adding a few to my spread for next year but not sure if that's the route I should go? I'm in west Tn and hunt mainly flooded timber. Last year the only thing we shot were woodies and mallards so that's why I'm thinking wood duck decoys to mix in bc I don't want the same old only mallard spread that a lot of people are using. But are they worth it? I've heard that wood ducks don't really pay them any attention so would there be a better deek to mix in instead? Maybe something bigger or different color for more visability? What's your experiences with them?
cfaulk33
hunter

Re: Wood duck decoys

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:08 pm

I have wood duck decoys out until the woodies leave. I want my spread to look as realistic as possible, realism equates to what is actually swimming around where you are hunting. Ducks like to congregate. I'm sure you've had other ducks besides mallards decoy in to your mallard decoys. Same thing with woodies. Just pay attention to how woodies act on the water. They usually hang out in small groups very close to the shore line in shallow water, thats how I throw out my woodie decoys.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby cfaulk33 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:16 pm

Yeah we have a couple wood duck boxes out so there are always woodies around pretty much the entire season and after just didn't know if throwing out some woodie deeks actually helped out or if people could notice a difference in shy birds or not
cfaulk33
hunter

Postby decoycarver » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:28 pm

some good ones on the market-we use them here Woodies go through here fast.. 1/2 dozen set to the side works for us.
decoycarver
hunter

Postby cfaulk33 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks! That's what I was thinking about doing. Half dozen just to mix it up and make it look different but still natural
cfaulk33
hunter

Postby Cold » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:11 pm

To those that use them: do you notice woodies are more likely to drop in when you have their own kind in your spread? Do they tend to land with the woody decoys?

I'm pretty new to duck hunting, but this year I've been doing pretty good on them so far, though the only ones I've gotten to decoy (into my mallard spread) did so on a foggy morning, where I think any floating roughly duck-sized objects would have done the trick. Since then, I've been wondering if a half-dozen wood duck decoys might do better than 2 dozen mallards.
Cold
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum