Reflective eyes

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Reflective eyes

Postby stevezilla » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:41 am

Does it make sense to put/glue some type of glass or reflectvie material in the eyes of my decoys to make them a little bit more realistic.
stevezilla
hunter

Easier way

Postby macdaddy » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:20 pm

Rough up the existing eyes w/ fine grit emery cloth. Paint w/ some Testors "gloss coat" or any other hobby coat. When dry, go over w/ the emery, paint w/ Future acrylic wax. Sounds involved; but if you get all of these things together, this would take about an hour or less per decoy. If the eyes are colored (like wood ducks), paint in a gloss black pupil before you paint on the gloss coat.
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:12 pm

I guess it depends on if you have the time. Some guys think--if they are so close to see wether there are glass eyes--they is dead. It all depends. Some guys still use the basic light brown/dark brown for puddlers and blac/white for divers with little detail. Others are airbrushing ultra realistic detailing. I look at it this way--it is not worth alot of detailing if you are hard on the decoys. Much of the modern detailing on decoys is to sell decoys to the hunters-to catch the hunters eye VS the ducks eye if you will. And of course there is if you are interested in painting decoys as a hobby-an entirely different reason VS just having working hunting decoys to hunt over IMO.

I personally do some detailing on my custon Snows/blues Silos and Socks, but none on the stock G&H duck decoys that I use.

I each his own is my thoughts.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby texan68 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:09 pm

dosen't matter.......no way they can see gloss on the eyes. Think like a duck flying over at 15 mph. All they see are blotches of color....if anything magnify the black and white on your deks. I know what your thinking...."but when they set there wings and are almost hovering they might be able to see the eyes clearly"......like h2owlr said if there that close they should be dead.
texan68
hunter

Postby HatterWayne » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:28 pm

I put either a hard clear nail polish or Liquidtex acrylic gloss on all my deke's eyes. I can see that little "glint" at 30+ yards easily, so if that MAY make a difference in the birds "finishing" it's worth the small amount of time it takes to do them.

:-)
HatterWayne
Pro Hunter

Postby travo » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:12 pm

i actually incorporated little motors to make the eyes blink. just make sure you get the timing right on the blinks, or youll scare every duck out of the county. also, just making a mallard hen blink one eye will often bring in lonely drakes.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

reply to travo

Postby Poke Boater » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:28 pm

:laughing:
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:30 pm

come on guys..........there ducks
texan68
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum