need help with decoy spread

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

need help with decoy spread

Postby bhack » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:05 am

Hello all,
I'm new to this sight and fairly new at hunting. I have a couple questions about placing my decoys:
1. I have 4 doz mallards and 1 doz teal and just bought 1 doz Bluebills. I quit putting the teals out this time of year, but was wondering if I should mix the blue's in with the mallards. If so, where at in the spread should I put them?
2. I've heard that divers should be put on stringers, is this true and whats the best way to rig them up?
bhack
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:28 am

First off, go ahead and throw the teal back out there. We have broke thick ice and still shot greenwings. Put the mallards in a group and put the bluebills in a group off to the side. Those black decoys are highly visible. Make a spaec in between the mallards and the bluebills for them to land.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby REDLEGGER » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:36 pm

if you never want tangled line in your bag just let me I tell you how to rigem so that isn't a problem :thumbsup:
" take a kid hunting you will never regret it"

" God, FAMILY, HUNTING IN THAT ORDER"
REDLEGGER
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:23 pm

what ks said. keep divers and puddles seperate. keep using those teal. more dekes the better. we kill teal all winter.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:18 pm

It is called long lining for the divers. check out the diver forum-lots already posted there about it.

As for sperating them, good idea. if hunting a point-put the divers in the more open water area with the mallards in closer . Basically form a big pocket for ducks to land in in front of you. 10yds in min between them, 20 yds is better.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SLAMMINERIE » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:11 pm

I HUNT LAKE ERIE I RUN MY DIVERS ON 140FOOT MAIN LINES AND PUDDLERS ON SINGLE LINES WE RUN AN AVERAGE OF 240 DEKES EACH OUTING LAYOUT HUNTING MAKE A TIGHT GROUP WITH YOUR MALLARDS AND A STRAIGHT LINE WITH YOUR BLUEBILLS LEAVE A LANDING ZONE FOR YOUR DUCKS :thumbsup:
SLAMMINERIE
hunter

Postby texan68 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:15 pm

hunting with less then 2 doz divers......theres no need to put em on a main line.......just put em in a tight group away from the mallards.
texan68
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:01 am

I just picked up some GW teal dekes, do you guys mix em in with your puddle ducks, divers or off by them selves?
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:02 am

Off by themselves...throw ya one of them wave makers in the middle of em. Y'all have a nice day!

:salude:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:17 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:First off, go ahead and throw the teal back out there. We have broke thick ice and still shot greenwings. Put the mallards in a group and put the bluebills in a group off to the side. Those black decoys are highly visible. Make a spaec in between the mallards and the bluebills for them to land.

Couldnt agree with any more.
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:35 pm

I kind of agree with Texan68, you don’t need a mainline with doz blue bills, just put them in a straight line leading to your Mallards. I don’t like the idea of tight groups though. I’ve found with Mallards, in their world when they feel safe they spread out and feed. They come into tight groups just before a hen says LETS GET THE FLOCK OUT OF HERE. I hunt over 3doz Mallards early in the season, less and less as the season goes on. I also hunt big water only I don’t know if this will help, but I spread mine out up and down the shore line [in range] from a few inches to few feet off the shoreline with a pair or two out farther swimming in.
State Moderator

Postby travo » Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:53 pm

yeah, keep the greenwings in there. we shot some just a weekend before freeze up.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby texan68 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:21 pm

pudddlers and divers are very different.......when divers first land they sit in a line form. But when they feel comfortable with a place they will raft up in a tight group. Down here in texas on the bay flats the bluebills and redheads raft up by the thousands....... what a sight
texan68
hunter

Postby 870 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:09 pm

With divers I agree, tight groups work the best, with your ganglines leading off. Just my puddlers I like to spread out. I'm glad to hear of the rafts you boys have down there. I love to see them myself and KILL as many as I can.
State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum