Duck Hunting Forum banner

Flocking Glue

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  amen0037 
#1 ·
What is everyone using for glue when flocking a decoy? I have been using Rustoleum for a few years and its held up ok. Would other paint such as acrylic hold up better than the oil based paint? Has anyone used the new glue from Aero? I was thinking about picking some up, but Im not too sure about that product. Gene or Don if you guys have any insights I would greatly appreciate it!

#4 ·
I might get some of the new stuff and try it out. I'm very hard on my decoys, but I hunt 5 days a week. I expect them to hold up during the course of the season, and in the off-season I can fix whatever needs fixing. My flocked decoys usually last 2-3 seasons before they need to be re-flocked. In most cases they are still huntable for 95% of you, but real birds do not have patches and the difference I have seen in the field is night and day. These heavily pressured birds seek different, and by that I mean not your typical 2 dozen mallard decoys that have worn out paint with 2 mojos spinning away. So if I can find a product that would make my decoys last longer you bet I will be using it.

#5 ·
I don't think you'll have much in the way of success using acrylic. As mentioned by others, Rustoleum works well. I've seen some great results as of late using Val Oil. It's a Urethane Modified Alkyd Resin. I suggest tinting it to desired color. If you are flocking production stuff, It provides plenty of working time, adheres to plastic better than Rustoleum, and holds fiber like a VICE!!!

#6 ·
Rob, I actually looked at that stuff the other day and wondered about it. The way I flock I'm not too concerned about the base coat color. I honestly flock everything one color and paint the decoys the colors I want. It makes it much quicker instead of doing each individual color day after day. I don't even want to say this but I have 500-600 decoys so time is money in my case. Thanks for the idea though I might give it a shot

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.