Higdon Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Higdon Decoys

Postby AR Dave » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:11 am

Thinking I'm going to make a trip over to MPW, here in a week or so. Pick up a Drake Walk-in back pack, chokes, decoy's, bring it all home in a Beaver Tail Sled. Anyhow I like Higdon Mallards because they look the best and the paint last. However they come in 4 different sizes, Standard, Full, Magnum, Super Magnum Battleships. Any thoughts on which size to get?
AR Dave
hunter

Re: Higdon Decoys

Postby WI_River_Hunter » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:28 am

If you plan on putting out large spreads, magnums and super mags will take up a lot more room. Granted, you would need fewer than if you used smaller dekes, but the space they take up in the boat is definitely something to consider.

If you generally put out spreads of a dozen or so, then I'd probably go with magnums or maybe super mags.

For all-around use, I think the full-sized decoys, at 16", offer decent visibility without being to cumbersome to haul.

And don't be afraid to mix sizes. If you plan on buying a few dozen, I'd get fulls and mags. Then you can use the mags for your smaller spreads, and fulls or both for larger spreads.

Just my $0.02.
WI_River_Hunter
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Good points! I don't put out big spreads, nor do I travel by boat much. And I can leave them in blinds if I want too, all year round. I was just going to upgrade some, all my mallards have been hand-me downs and founds. I have Gadwals, Woodies, Bufflehead, Pintail, & some Black Decoys as well. I'd like to start getting those Higdons, here and there, until I have a couple dozen. After reading your post, I think I might stay with the standard and magnum.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Bryce_Decker » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:40 pm

Higdons magnum mallards are the best looking decoys I've ever seen in the timber....they are brighter and show up better than any other decoy I've ever seen...I think they put the Dakota's to shame as far as long range visibility.
Bryce_Decker
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:06 pm

Whatever you do get foam filled. Higdon makes a damn good decoy.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby AKWoody » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:41 pm

ByersFarm wrote:Whatever you do get foam filled. Higdon makes a damn good decoy.

^^This^^ and if you can swing it get the flocked heads for the drake mallards. The decoys will look damn near real. Im speaking from experience.
AKWoody
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum