No Go Flambeau

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

No Go Flambeau

Postby puddlerjumper » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:57 pm

Catchy title eh? Well guys, I didn't think it would come to this, I ordered 2 dozen standard mallard water keel, 1 dozen gwt, and 1 dozen pintail over the summer. I've had problems with them since I took them out of the box with the exception of the pintails, they have performed flawlessly. On a few of my decoys, when I took them out of the box, the has 3"x2" strips of paint missing, heck, the paint on a few of the bills of the the drake mallards were half way gone. I decided not to complain to Macks about it, because that was not the first time I've had that problem with flambeau. I decided to put them through this season of wear and if it got much worse, I would contact flambeau, well, now over 1 dozen of those mallards are leaking in the seams on the butt end of the decoy. It is a slow leak nothing to serious, but no decoy should leak that is a floater. Well, I called flambeau yesterday, and they said I needed to call customer service, so I called customer service, and they closed about an hour earlier. Soooo, I found out that they close at 4:00 eastern so that is 3:00 where I live. I get home at 2:45 and call and they say that they are closed 15 MINUTES EARLY, keep in mind this is the national customer service hotline, so now I'm ticked off, I wrote them a long email about 2 hours ago and am awaiting the reply, when I get it back, I'll post it up. I asked for a full exchange, who knows, I may get lucky.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:30 am

Do me a flavor when you get them on the phone, yell at em for me.! I was bitching to my wife about my Flambeau dekes the other day. Some of my Mallard drakes have the white line missing around the base of the neck and some of my drake Redheads don't have blue bills. The RH hens have eyes that look like a one year old painted them. I've decided to sell my Flambeau's and the wanna be companys dekes that I have and probably buy Green Head gear life size series. I picked up 1/2 dozen Ringnecks and they look incredible on the water.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby Robberwood » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:11 am

All i have to say is u get what u pay for. I have some flambeau pintails and they work great (picked them up from a buddy) but i would definitly not buy any brand new. You can get ghg ones for almost as cheap and get a good quality product. Let us know how that email works out or if u get a hold of them on the phone cause i want see what happens! Good luck and yell at um for me 2! :salude:
"Dont land over there!"
So what time are they suppose to show up?
Robberwood
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:13 pm

Here is the reply I got from them, doesnt sound too bad.....

Thank you for contacting Flambeau. Your feedback is appreciated.

Flambeau would like to issue a Return Authorization number to be used to return a representative sample of the decoys with which you are unsatisfied. In order to do so, we need to request some additional information. Please provide:

Full shipping address
Number of green-winged decoys with these issues
Phone number

Thank you and we respectfully await your reply.

Judy Doell
Consumer Service
Team Leader

I dont know what they mean by a representative sample, but Im going to get everything straightened out. Does anyone know the quality of there new line of mallard decoys? They look pretty dang good.
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:31 pm

that sounds like a reasonable response. now if you get the "representative sample" and they turn out to be a pile of you know what then I'd be steamed. Frankly, concerning the other posts about decoys lately i'd say you might be getting a heckuva deal.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby texan68 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:07 pm

I bought a doz of there pintails at the beginning of the season because they were so cheap only $20.00........but after one use on saltwater with 10-15 mph winds I see why they were so cheap......1st off the keels didn't work at all the decoys themselves were to tall or something, because they kept blowin over with light winds....it was terible.....all of my pintail drakes were bottoms up......second off the saltwater killed the deks...likewise..after one use, I had a leek in most of the hens and a couple drakes. So I used them this season, and will proboly patch and paint em up for next.
texan68
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:05 pm

Does anyone know the quality of there new line of mallard decoys? They look pretty dang good.

If you are talking about the "full limit" mallards, I have heard that the paint chips on those real bad. I saw some at Bass Pro and they looked kind of small to me. I like flambeau though. I have 4 dozen magnum mallards and they've been abused for about 5 years and they are still goin strong. They aren't the best lookin decoy ever, but they have done the job for me.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:35 pm

puddlerjumper wrote:

I dont know what they mean by a representative sample,.
[/quote]

They're asking you to send one of your bad ones to them so that they'll know what went wrong. By all means send them the worst one (leaking & peeling).
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:18 pm

did somebody say greenhead gear was a good product. :thumbsdown: i think by what ive read that greenhead gear dekes are the worst dekes out there. they dont back there products. sounds like flambaeu backs there products.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby travo » Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:02 pm

ive got a bunch of flambeaus, and they work ok, but i am not impressed with the quality. i repaint the bills in the offseason, and repaint the rest about halfway through the season when the birds get color. i like to use faded decoys during opener and through the first part of the season, because it is more natural to have decoys that are not vibrant early on. i also put out a lot of hens early on to follow suit. if you want decoys that are great quality and that you will never have to repaint or repair, get some horicons. i just dont use the drakes early on. my horicons are my best looking, although most expensive, decoys.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Dont waste money on flambeaus

Postby muduck7 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:47 pm

earlier this year I purchased three dozen mallard decoys, the paint has already started chipping, I have leaks on the bottom seams. It really pissed me off, then a buddy told me about greenhead gear hot buy mallard decoys, and for a cheaper price I have had no problems with them and I personally like how they look in the water.
Take Em
muduck7
Newb

Postby dukdawg » Wed Feb 09, 2005 1:15 pm

i've got some of the weighted-keel Flambeau's and i've got to say, they aint the most durable. they look pretty good but they leak. when we find a leaker we just cut off the keel and use them for ice or land. i probably wouldn't recommend them.
"A good woman needs to cook, carry a Bible, and pick ducks." - Phil Robertson
dukdawg
hunter

Postby WhiteRiverguy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:05 pm

They must not be making them like they used to...I bought 4 dozen Flambeau's about 5 years ago and didn't have to touch them up until this season. At the time I think they were like $35 per dozen. If the price has gone down...I'm sure the quality has too. :thumbsdown:
A duck call, like a shotgun, is only as good as the man behind it. -Phil Robertson
WhiteRiverguy
hunter

Postby aaron » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:22 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself, got some goose floaters and that so-called removable keel is crap.
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby aaron » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:24 pm

[quote][/quote]
aaron
hunter

Postby aaron » Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:25 pm

Dadgumit !!! All I'm trying to do here is agree with Donelle67. GHG is crap.
aaron
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:40 pm

I bought some of Flambeaus new style mallard decoyes last fall and am very pleased with them. the paint or what ever it is that they used on them is as good as the day I bought them. These deks look alot better than their old line and the colors and detail are way better. By the way my new deks have not been babied or handled with kid gloves.

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your startin to get some tail feathers.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby plainsman » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:10 pm

I use nothing but Flams and haven't had a problem yet....no paint issue's/nothing wrong with Flam's in my book. Got some full limit's and they look great...just a little on the small side, they should make them in mag.
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum