Remote Range

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Remote Range

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:09 pm

Working on a decoy for a friend, its a 3v wonder duck so I needed to get a special remote for it. I found a 6v 0v output remote on ebay.. same deal as the 6v ones guys buy for mojos. Got it all hooked up today and it is working BUT the range sucks. Its only good for about 4 feet, past that you can wave the remote around over your head and get it to work back to 10-15 yards. On works perfectly, it will turn the decoy on from 40+ yards away.. its the off that is the problem.

Anyone have any tricks for extending the range? I ran the antenna out the back and have it held straight up by a straw.

What we want to do is have it running to create motion in our small pothole then turn it off when some ducks start working. I cant stand up and wave my arm around in the air to turn it off when a duck is working.
Why do I shoot 3.5" for geese? Because they don't make a 4" yet!
BBK
hunter

Re: Remote Range

Postby BuckCreek » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:34 pm

This sounds stupid but it works on my mallard machine put the metal antenna in your mouth and it will hit 50 yds easy. I may have more fillings then most but it really does make a difference on distance.
BuckCreek
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Never mind! Just realized I bought the wrong one! I bought the short range 50ft one. Doooh! 500ft one on order now.

:lol:
BBK
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:43 pm

Got the long range one in the mail today, the one with the metal antenna. Works great from 40 yards away, couldn't get any further in my back yard so we'll have to test the maximum range on the water. It will never be past about 25 yards away though.

WELL WORTH THE $18.00
BBK
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:34 pm

Free tip regarding electronic transmitting/receiving devices: They NEVER consistently work at the range advertized unless you hget into some really expensive stuff. Experience has taught me that getting 1/3 and sometimes 1/2 of the advertized range is generally the best you will get.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby BBK » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:45 pm

Says 500ft max. So half of that would be what, about 80 yards? Maximum distance from the blind maybe 30 yards. Should work without a problem. Already tested it in the back yard at 40, facing the opposite way of the decoy, and it worked great. Also tried standing behind a big maple tree and it worked flawlessly.

The long range was actually $0.50 cheaper than the short, but only comes with one remote. Really didnt have another option with this duck as I needed a 0V DC output on it.. but it seems to be working just fine.

I would say it would be just fine for a spinner. Here is the one I bought. It will work with a mojo as well, just have to wire it accordingly. http://www.ebay.com/itm/6V-DC-LONG-RANG ... 5d4464e06f
BBK
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum