Tangle Free Decoys your opinion please

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Tangle Free Decoys your opinion please

Postby don novicki » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:48 pm

Like the tag says What is your opinion of Tangle Free decoys? I am looking at buying some close out divers from Knutsons and wanted to get an opinion before I spend my money. The price is right but do they hold up? Thanks
don novicki
hunter

Re: Tangle Free Decoys your opinion please

Postby ByersFarm » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:18 pm

I had several that sunk in their first season. Tangle free was happy to send me new ones, but their paint isn't that good.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:32 am

the closeout price is probably to make room for the new foam filled divers and sea ducks. The leaks in most decoy brands are due to the hole in the tail or under the bill on some brands. I routinely re plug that hole with apoxy sculpt after shaving off any glue residue and smoothing the apoxy sculpt over the hole. It's a pretty easy fix, I do it on all of my decoys whether I think they will leak or not regardless of brand. I can get Apoxy sculpt locally, but you may have to order it. Several places do sell it over the counter, so check the store locator on Aves Studio for a dealer closest to you. http://www.avesstudio.com/index.php?opt ... p&Itemid=8

It's a 50/50 mix, two standard marble sized pieces of Apoxy will plug a dozen decoys. It's the same material I set eyes on foamers with.

If you routinely shoot your decoys, especially with diver hunting and they are not foam filled, the apoxy is an easy fix. If you order it from Aves Studio, you can get it in specific colors to match the area you are patching.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Boogie1275 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:13 am

bought about 60 of the buck gardner mallards for the rice. pro's- they have a nice shape to them. con's- they all took on water.
Boogie1275
hunter

Postby holtspur » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 am

Not a whole lot of experience but I own a dozen of the standard gwt. The paint on the drakes was piss poor, after one hunt there were very large patches of paint missing. However I contacted tangle free and they are sending me a dozen pro series gwt. So they have wonderful customer service. Now I repainted and touched up what i could, then use some krylon Matte clear and haven't had another problem.
holtspur
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Boogie1275 wrote:bought about 60 of the buck gardner mallards for the rice. pro's- they have a nice shape to them. con's- they all took on water.

All of my BG's took on a lot of water in just a little time my first time using them.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum