Mojo's as protection against hunters?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Mojo's as protection against hunters?

Postby robo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:50 am

Hi, been reading here for a while but this is my first post.

I was set up at 5 this morning. Some guys came in later on the other side of the lake (edit: to my right, not directly across) but I couldn't tell which side of the peninsula they were setting up on (dark, fog, distance, etc). I flashed my light over there a few times to let them know I was there. Well a little before sun up (~6:45) I thought I could hear one say "they're over there on the water" and then they shot once. :eek: I yelled at them, then after what seemed like 10-15 seconds they shot again. :mad: The shots splashed near my decoys, but I was worried for my decoys and myself. I yelled again and there were no more incidents after. I wonder if adding a mojo would help the decoys stand out (as decoys) better to other hunters?
robo
Newb

Re: Mojo's as protection against hunters?

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:12 am

More like a 3.5 inch 10 gauge and buck shot. Drop a few rounds into their decoys in return, they will get the message.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby kbooger » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:55 am

If they are dropping shot in/at your decoys, what is going to happen if they actually shot a bird in your direction? In the air?

And are you sure they wouldn't shoot your mojo?
kbooger
hunter

Postby robo » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:33 pm

kbooger wrote:If they are dropping shot in/at your decoys, what is going to happen if they actually shot a bird in your direction? In the air?

And are you sure they wouldn't shoot your mojo?

Right, I'm not sure if they would shoot the mojo or not. At least they are a very good giveaway to me if a hunter is on a nearby bank.

I did feel like there was a good chance they would shoot across at any birds I was even close to finishing, despite the range.

It is going to be hard to continue hunting if I have to pack up when someone else moves in an hour after I set up... I'm not sure what else to do other than find someone sharing private land.
robo
Newb

Postby wanapasaki » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:35 pm

I had one guy drive up about 50 yards from my dove mojo and stick his barrel out the window to shoot at it. I stood up and waved my hands as the mojo was only 30 yards in front of me... I don't think mojo's will help
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:13 pm

Get a BIGGER flashlight. Q-Beam on a 12V They will understand that.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby Simple » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Dang that is never a good feeling. I had a similar thing happen once, I had just ran out for an after work hunt threw out 2 dozen decoys and then I no sooner stood back into the weeds when I hear a couple guys walking behind me so I stood up. As soon as I got up they stopped then they said theres ducks in the weeds and all hell broke loose. They shot 3 times at me, I dove into the muddy water. I don't know how close they were but I felt bb's go up my coat but never penetrated. I stared yelling and they disappeared never saw them. Needless to say I just picked up and went home. I think if they are to dumb to notice a light flashing at them or that the ducks aren't really moving then chances are a mojo wont help either.
Simple
hunter

Postby robo » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:09 am

Thanks guys. I'll take a bigger flashlight and hope I don't run into the same group again.
robo
Newb

Postby TheMiz » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:15 pm

Jesus...There seems to be more idiots out every year. In the past week i've had two guys walk right down the bank (big lake) right to me with no waders and decked out in blaze orange...they had seen my decoys and came to try and "jump" them. Tried to talk to them and they didn't even speak English. Then on Tuesday I was pulling out at the boat ramp and a guy was about to walk in also with no waders, dog or decoys, he at least had the forethought to bring a fishing pole with a treble hook...lol, good luck "chasing down" your cripples.
TheMiz
hunter

Postby BBK » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:13 pm

The way to solve what happened to you is to call the local conservation officer! There is no such thing as accidentally shooting someone's decoys.. if they are that damn ignorant than they need a ticket to straighten them out. They are an accident waiting to happen, just hope nobody else gets hurt when it does.
BBK
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:57 am

Shoot back.

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby amen0037 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Never shoot back!!! Last year I was out hunting and heard what was the strangest sound after a few shots followed by some yelling an more shooting. The one guy peppered the side of the other guys boat. Just imagine if one of those BB's actually hit a person. Manslaughter is no joke people and something that should not even be a thought out on the water/field. I know the CO really well in the area that this occurred last year and the guy who shot first was sentenced 15 years for attempted manslaughter. Keep your egos at home or set the alarm clock earlier to get that spot. What I do to keep people away from me is lanterns on my mojo poles. I just set them out 60-75 yds from where I will be sitting and I have never had a problem.
amen0037
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum