Cork Black Duck

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Cork Black Duck

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:04 am

Here a are a few pictures of my latest effort.
black freezer cork, pine head. Head is fully flocked, then lightly sanded, then painted over.
Body is about 18"x9".
I carved this for a DU event in Maine this past August but didn't have it completed in time. It is self-righting.
Attachments
bth_SDC10326.jpg
bth_SDC10326.jpg (15.94 KiB) Viewed 837 times
SDC10327.jpg
SDC103232.jpg
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Re: Cork Black Duck

Postby Baymen Moe » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:11 am

Wow, very nice block. Better than my old Beans, although they are over 30 years old.
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:43 am

:clapping: :clapping:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:58 am

What's funny is...black ducks are my favorite decoy ever, you never do them......I have never had a single thing to say about any of your birds (other than lush compliments) and now the one time, I have a critique....
First of all, needless to say, it's a beauty, the head is perfect as is the tail area...but the "deck" where the head meets the body looks really wide and flat, no? Feel free to give me an ear-flick for even saying this...but it caught my eye for sure.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:53 pm

Hi Slack,
I appreciate your comments and I agree.
What I was trying to accomplish with this one was an 'at rest' duck, sitting low- low head with his head somewhat laidback and nestled into his shoulders. (not sure if that's what I ended up with...?) but by placing the head farther back in the body, I did end up with a larger and flatter 'deck' or top breast area. The flat area also was harder to remove as I wanted the neck to stay low along that area and not raise up too much.
It does look good from above and I guess that ducks flying in will have that viewpoint more than a profile view.

My goal on this one sort of morphed into getting the head shape, bill, and especially the eyes correct. Most of what I have done in the past has suffered from 'bug eye" syndrome.

Anyway thanks for the criticism and comments, that's why we post on this forum right ?
I'll keep carving and trying new things, as long as we aren't blowing them out of molds or machine craving, everyone we've finished is an original !!

Dana
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:09 pm

MassDecoyCarver wrote:Hi Slack,
I appreciate your comments and I agree.
What I was trying to accomplish with this one was an 'at rest' duck, sitting low- low head with his head somewhat laidback and nestled into his shoulders. (not sure if that's what I ended up with...?) but by placing the head farther back in the body, I did end up with a larger and flatter 'deck' or top breast area. The flat area also was harder to remove as I wanted the neck to stay low along that area and not raise up too much.
It does look good from above and I guess that ducks flying in will have that viewpoint more than a profile view.

My goal on this one sort of morphed into getting the head shape, bill, and especially the eyes correct. Most of what I have done in the past has suffered from 'bug eye" syndrome.

Anyway thanks for the criticism and comments, that's why we post on this forum right ?
I'll keep carving and trying new things, as long as we aren't blowing them out of molds or machine craving, everyone we've finished is an original !!

Dana

Great!....well then I will just send you postage and we can get that old block out of your hair....so as to not contaminate your workshop etc etc.....
Just let me know where to send my stamp etc....
Glad to help!
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby blakduck » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Looks good!! Alot better than my black duck I did last year!! As they say, "IT WILL HELP YOU HARVEST WATERFOWL"!!
blakduck
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:06 am

Thanks !!
I'll keep trying and will post when I do something new and (hopefully) better !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:52 pm

MassDecoyCarver wrote:Thanks !!
I'll keep trying and will post when I do something new and (hopefully) better !

Yes...please send all rejects and sub standard deeks to me... :clapping:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum