Looking to get into decoy carving

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Looking to get into decoy carving

Postby KrzyKjun » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:14 am

If anyone out there is experienced in carving wood decoys, I am looking to get into doing that for a hobby. I got a Dremel Professional for xmas along with a kit containing every bit they ever made for the dremel.

What other kinds of tools do I need and what woods would be the best for carving. I heard Tupelo Gum works really well.

Any hints or tips to get me started?
Far better it is to dare mighty things,
To win glorious triumphs even tho checked by failure,
Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much,
Because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
KrzyKjun
hunter

Postby suskyducker » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:24 pm

There are various tools needed. Depends on how you want to make bodies. Bandsaw, drawknife, knives, chisels, dust collector,vice to hold block, burning tool..... and many others as well depends on how much you want to spend. You dont have to buy all at once either, dont need all that is listed either. Also depends gunning blocks or decorative
Wood is another various list. Cedar basswood,tupelo, pine and many others.
I use tan cork for bodies white cedar for heads, when I first started I used what was available as I scraped alot of them.
hope it helps
suskyducker
Newb

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:07 pm

Krzy....you may wish to do some research on carving....I found when I started a great reference book that I believe all novices shoulg get is: Duck Decoys, by Tom Matus. It will give you everything you need to get started....tools, wood pros -n-cons, painting advice etc.

see my topic I am posting regarding a tv show Tom is doing on DIY Network or check the DIY site for a synopsis of the show with pics.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum