Wooden Dekes

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Wooden Dekes

Postby TexasT-ler » Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:56 pm

I have been carving wooden decoys for about six years. Just wondered if anyone else here is into making wood dekes that they hunt over? I have a rig of about fifteen hollow cedar birds, and a cork rig of fifteen teal. It adds a lot to the experience to shoot ducks over your own handcrafted dekes.
TexasT-ler
hunter

Postby mattman48732 » Sun May 09, 2004 7:56 am

Tex,
I have been making decoys for 40 years now. My dad taught me how to make diver decoys out of the old paper oil cans. We just painted them black and white and taped over the hole and attached the line and the weight. I still have some of his original cedars that have also been given to other members of the family. I have been making cedar blocks for the same duaration and am now getting into the 'show stuff'.
Every season I have made some new cedar blocks to hunt over and they always bring in the bluebills and the goldeneyes.
Matt
mattman48732
hunter

Postby TallCypress » Sat May 15, 2004 6:01 pm

There is someone else that I know on this forum! :P
I like the way my labs look at life. Duck hunting is the most important activity in the world, every duck should come to our spread, and you should never ever hold a grudge---unless your hunting partner keeps scaring the birds away.
TallCypress
hunter

Postby texan68 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:32 pm

I carved up a half doz wooden head cork body scaup a few years ago.
texan68
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum