Mallard Machine question

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Mallard Machine question

Postby kethomps » Wed Mar 24, 2004 11:54 am

I see that some people have used the Mallard Machine. I'm interested in how it works mechanically. Looking at the pictures online I'm not getting a good idea how it works. If anyone's used one please explain it to me. Thank you.
kethomps
Newb

Postby TexasT-ler » Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:25 pm

Mechanically the Mallard machine is similar to a trolling motor. It has a motor with a prop, attached to a frame with decoys that suspend it. When the switch is activated the decoys are pulled downward, and the water boils because of the resistance of the decoys on the prop. Adds a lot of movement and plenty of ripples on flat water days in any spread.
here to roost awhile.......
TexasT-ler
hunter

Postby kethomps » Thu Mar 25, 2004 6:06 am

So is this stuck into the ground somehow or does it just float in place?
kethomps
Newb

Postby TexasT-ler » Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:49 am

I think the commercial one has the motor mounted on a pole, but I have seen some very nice home-made mms that had the motor mounted in an old plastic milk crate, and the floating decoys held it up just fine. The purpose of the milk crate is to keep the motor from sucking in all kinds of grass and other crap.
here to roost awhile.......
TexasT-ler
hunter

Postby POP » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:05 pm

I am interested in the mallard machine but am confused by the power source to be used. I assume that a 12 volt car battery is used to power
this decoy since it consists of something like a trolling moter. I don't normally hunt from a boat so this may be impractical. I would like more information from any one who uses decoys of this type. THANKS
POP
Newb

Postby QUACKHEAD » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:50 pm

Yes, it is a 12 volt car battery, so if you have to walk any distance have fun lugging it to the blind. But if your that crazy to carry that heavy battery, your hard work will be paid in full becuse they come in to it like none other. :thumbsup:
A bad day in the feild beats a good day at work, ANY TIME!
QUACKHEAD
Membership permanently suspended

Postby charliep » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:09 pm

We use a mallard machine here in utah at our hunting club and we have three blinds that we usually hunt and have a little atv battery at each blind and if we run out of juice or are going to hunt the next day we take it home and charge it over night but usually you can get a couple of days out of one battery. We do not ever let it run non stop, so that is why it lasts a couple of days. We love it and find that it works better on those decoy shy bird that have definately caught on the the MOJO craze
charliep
Newb

Return to Duck Decoy Forum