Avery 12-slot Decoy Bags

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Avery 12-slot Decoy Bags

Postby DawgMD » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:04 am

As this season comes to a agonizing conclusion I have been thinking of getting rid of the great majority of my 16 dozen duck decoy armada and scaling down to 6-8 dozen high quality decoys. I am wondering if any of you out there have used Avery's 12-slot duck decoy bag? Is it worth $30 plus bucks per bag to protect your decoys? Is the bag constructed well?
Just any thoughts you might have on the bag. (they are in Cabela's 2004 Waterfowl catalog page 42). Thanks!
DawgMD
hunter

Postby jayduck » Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:00 pm

I bought it last year for 2 reasons, one I have 6 herters foam decoys that I want to protect, and two I have a mallard machine and air lucky that need protection.
The bag works nice for keeping everything orginized and protected, but the thing floats like a stone. I have put the thing through everything, its our labs bed in the cattails, and I have to say that it has held up and looks as good as new.
I love to use it when I just head out to the rivers during late season with a few decoys, throw it on my back and hike down stream.
jayduck
Newb

Postby DawgMD » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:38 pm

Thank you for the info! Looks like I will be getting 6-8 of them. DawgMD
DawgMD
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:14 pm

hey dawg, you getting some corks. that would be sweet to have 6 to 8 dozen of them. 16 dozen thats quite a few dekes.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby DawgMD » Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:26 am

Well I would like to have corks and have seriously thought about it, and perhaps one day I will. If that day ever comes, I want to make my own corks. I guess you can say its kind of like catching your first trout on the fly that you tied yourself. But for the time being it looks like I will be getting some oversized GHG Mallards. I already have a dozen widgeon and gadwall GHG's. I am also going to purchasing some bigger slot bags for my new Avery and Bigfoot geese floaters. Wish I could get my wife to make them for me but she just looked at me and gave me that look that every married knows not to say another thing. lol!
DawgMD
hunter

Postby donell67 » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:30 pm

i think the slot bags are generally for corks. you would be fine just using a regular decoy bags for those dekes. bigfoots are good goose floaters. but i would suggest g&h for all your duck dekes they are the best plastic deke.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:33 pm

Yeah I woudln't sell all your plastic deeks to upgrade to GHG. It's not really upgrading.

If I was only going to hunt over a few decoys, I would want the G&H supermags with swivel heads. I really like the herters berlaps and foams with the swivel heads too...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby had » Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:43 am

i got herters in 12 slot bags. i really like the bags. i feel they are a good deal at 30 bucks. they are made well. i thought they were gonna be flimsy for that price but are solid.

had
had
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:02 pm

I bought the 12 and a 6 this year....they are as good, if not better than the ones I have been using for years (Autumn Wings which cost almost $60)....these Avery bags are sewn through to the bottom which is good so anchors will not 're-locate' and snag....but even better, there are inside mesh pockets for the anchors!!! The bags are well made and appear to be every bit as durable as more expensive bags. This is a very good deal!! I have cork decoys and this style bag allows for alot of protection....just don't drop dekes in or drop the bag since the tailboards can break (some guys I know even use fleece bags on their decoys before sliding them into the bags)....but I also use these bags for my own unburlapped foamers and they are the "cat's meow" - no dents from anchors.
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 98ramtough » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:11 pm

Man you guys are making me jelous with your awesome corks and foamers.......

I have these poncho style bags I bought from a guy that keep them seperated and you don't have to use a hand. You put it over you and then you have both hands. I sling my gun over my shoulder then I can carry my bucket and another decoy bag or watever else. You might look at finding a poncho syle bag too... Now I just have to get a few dozen decoys worthy of using these style of bags...

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:15 pm

since you have mentioned carrying ....these really are not bags for carrying decoys into a walk-in hunt....I use mine from boats....these bags are to protect decoys!.....anyhow, corks are way too heavy to carry in!!!! and even though the foamers are light, the bag is not easily carried any distance....and I would never even consider carrying the 12 slot
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby had » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:20 pm

i agree with DUKHTR.
had
hunter

reply to topic

Postby Poke Boater » Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:32 pm

The 12 slots would be super for the use of Tanglefree anchors on any decoy. Nothing like un-tangling tanglefree spaggetti in a blowing snow storm. Oh I now add. As 25 mallards are circling you while you wished for a slotted decoy bag! :pissed:

Poke Boater
#1 If a falling duck's head is "held up" shoot again.
#2 If a downed duck lays still on the water with it's head "held down" straight out and you detect ANY movement across the current or not with the wind shoot again.
Ouabache!
Poke Boater
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum