Dakota Pintail

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Dakota Pintail

Postby Legband#1 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Let me start off by saying I love Dakota Mallards as long as they can be picked up daily,
They will not take sun day after day.
This year they changed the Mallard Hen color to a more realistic brown if you remember I posted a pick of the original color last year it was way to light.

This year my buddy purchased the new pintail from Dakota.
The Drake was so bad my buddy painted them right out of the box.
It came in a ice blue color instead of life like gray.
I didn't get a pic because he painted them so quick.

But he didn't have time to paint the hens look at this decoy and tell me how does this happen ?
Don't they have one Pro staff or Design team member that has ever seen a hen sprig ?
If you carved eyes in the side you could pass it off a pumpkin.
Attachments
image.jpg
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Re: Dakota Pintail

Postby mudpack » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:28 pm

We know. They're atrocious. This has been discussed before.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:58 pm

mudpack wrote:We know. They're atrocious. This has been discussed before.

Must of miss that , excuse the heck out me ,
I have an idea don't weigh in on the subject if it bothers you .
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:20 am

Consider yourself excused. Subject doesn't bother me, just agreeing with you, Mr. Pro-Staffer.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:45 am

mudpack wrote:Consider yourself excused. Subject doesn't bother me, just agreeing with you, Mr. Pro-Staffer.

Sorry Mudpack it had been a long day and I have had my butt crewed so many times just for having a opinion,
I clearly over reacted to your statement and I sincerely apologize.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:34 am

Dakota is having some definite "issues" with coloration. The pintails are ghastly and the specs are horrible. The shape of the pintails could be better, but they're not unworkable. I like the shape of the specs.

Someone has got to do some color quality control.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:32 pm

It has become a pretty common problem lately. Saw some problems with some widgeon recently and know for a fact it had nothing to do with the original color scheme sent in by the carver. Once the carver sends the bird with the color scheme the majority of the time they are sent to China for it to be matched up. From there a lot of issues can come up but I think the final decision falls on the company to OK it. You never know who may be making that final decision and there have been some mistakes made.

What I'm trying to say is..the final decision for the product doesn't get OK'd by the right people sometimes. As Gene stated...color control needs a little more work in some instances...someone dropped the ball so to speak.

I guess what I can't understand about the whole post is....if they suck so much and look so bad....why did your buddy buy them? Seems like the burden of fault lies with him. Why not just don't buy them instead of of buying then complaining? I can't see the point.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:24 pm

Ringneck wrote:I guess what I can't understand about the whole post is....if they suck so much and look so bad....why did your buddy buy them? Seems like the burden of fault lies with him. Why not just don't buy them instead of of buying then complaining? I can't see the point.

I feel I have already pointed out that what you see in the catalogue isn't what you get.
The shipping cost makes it impossible to return them.
And I guess I put more responsibility on Dakota , a guy uses there mallards and honkers and is happy , it's not a huge leap to expect the next species to be correct it's not like he's buying them off the shelf.
Although it does seem like more and more in the industry it's buyer beware, that's to bad.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby Ringneck » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Didn't see nay mention of a catalog in the other post but I may have missed it. Hard to judge a decoy from a picture and catalog pics can definately make something look better than it is. In the end you are correct....it is buyer beware.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

-Albert Einstein
Ringneck
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Ringneck wrote:Didn't see nay mention of a catalog in the other post but I may have missed it. Hard to judge a decoy from a picture and catalog pics can definately make something look better than it is. In the end you are correct....it is buyer beware.

Your right I stand corrected I was speaking on to a individual about that it wasn't in the post
Thx. Ringneck
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Call them dakota will make it right
txhunter90
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:55 am

One has to wonder if sometimes these decisions are not made by the bean counters...............who have never seen a live duck in thier life.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:00 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:One has to wonder if sometimes these decisions are not made by the bean counters...............who have never seen a live duck in thier life.

I don't understand it :fingerhead:
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Postby imboray » Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:15 pm

txhunter90 wrote:Call them dakota will make it right

this
imboray
hunter

Postby rntmvp6 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:49 pm

Ordered a dozen a few weeks back bc I have 3 dozen of the mallards and love them. Was disappointed in the pintails. Painted the hens out of the box to dull down how bright yellow orange they were. Now for the drakes, I like the fact of how white they are bc I feel they will stick out well in the places I hunt. The problem I had was the heads. The white on the neck was stained brown which didn't match the body at all. I called Dakota and spoke with the owner. He told me he would replace the heads on my drakes for free of course. They are working on a new design and will not be flocking the white on the neck only the brown. The new heads should be available some time in a few months.

The final issue Dakota had with their pintails is the box says 8 drakes and 4 hens. But they really come 6 and 6. This was a mistake made by the people who made their boxes.

On the plus Dakota assured me they would make it right which satisfies me and I will continue to purchase from them.
rntmvp6
hunter

Postby rntmvp6 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:52 pm

Dakota pintail
Attachments
image.jpg
rntmvp6
hunter

Postby rntmvp6 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Dakota pintail
Attachments
image.jpg
rntmvp6
hunter

Postby Legband#1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:01 pm

rntmvp6 wrote:Ordered a dozen a few weeks back bc I have 3 dozen of the mallards and love them. Was disappointed in the pintails. Painted the hens out of the box to dull down how bright yellow orange they were. Now for the drakes, I like the fact of how white they are bc I feel they will stick out well in the places I hunt. The problem I had was the heads. The white on the neck was stained brown which didn't match the body at all. I called Dakota and spoke with the owner. He told me he would replace the heads on my drakes for free of course. They are working on a new design and will not be flocking the white on the neck only the brown. The new heads should be available some time in a few months.

The final issue Dakota had with their pintails is the box says 8 drakes and 4 hens. But they really come 6 and 6. This was a mistake made by the people who made their boxes.

On the plus Dakota assured me they would make it right which satisfies me and I will continue to purchase from them.

Well on top of the first point, that I started the thread about (the paint color)
now we have used the pintails about 6 times and are having problems with the brown flocking marring up real bad ,
we twelve slot them to protect them as much as possible but they are not holding up like the mallards,
not sure why I assume it's the same material and process ,
I would rather have painted heads if they are going to breakdown this quick ,
We Already replace the mallard heads each season and the cost is not unreasonable but we are just starting with the sprig and they are already getting bad.
Joe Hendrex
Hughson Waterfowl
Marsh Mutt Pro-Staff
G&H Decoy Pro-Staff
Legband#1
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum