Towing decoys vs pulling sled

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

Towing decoys vs pulling sled

Postby lsuengineer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:26 pm

Behind a kayak.

Better to buy a sled and haul decoys in that, or simply pull my Texas rigged decoys clipped behind my kayak. I would like to bring a few more than I can fit in my kayak and am trying to figure out the best way.
lsuengineer
hunter

Re: Towing decoys vs pulling sled

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:15 am

I would think that dragging decoys behind your boat would be problematic, given the high probability of twisting lines and getting snagged on anything that is nearby. if I were you I'd look into a sled or some small craft to tow.

When I am hauling lot of decoys, I use a 12' canoe towed behind my boat. The major problem I have is that the canoe does not have a keel and therefore tends to wander from side to side at medium to slow speeds, sometimes to the point of nearly turning broadside (which would be terrible !). I need to find a very small jon boat (10') or build something that will have the capacity I need and will track properly behind the boat.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby duck501 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:49 am

Go with the sled I use it behind my boat. make sure u get as ice fishing sled. They work the best.
duck501
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:51 am

MassDecoyCarver wrote:I would think that dragging decoys behind your boat would be problematic, given the high probability of twisting lines and getting snagged on anything that is nearby. if I were you I'd look into a sled or some small craft to tow.

When I am hauling lot of decoys, I use a 12' canoe towed behind my boat. The major problem I have is that the canoe does not have a keel and therefore tends to wander from side to side at medium to slow speeds, sometimes to the point of nearly turning broadside (which would be terrible !). I need to find a very small jon boat (10') or build something that will have the capacity I need and will track properly behind the boat.

Why not just make a clamp on keel for the canoe?

A sled would probably be better than dragging the decoys. Dragging them will just be more time they beat against each other, will probably make excess noise (if that is a factor) and like said may cause tangling/hangup problems.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:40 am

I've done it both ways behind a Marsh Rat and an Aquapod. Towing them works fine, just make sure it's a mesh bag so it can't trap any water. The sled tows a little easier, but will have a higher profile, which can make a difference in a cross wind. Try it without the sled, and then try it with the sled...at that point you can decide for yourself. :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:07 pm

I did make a rudder for the canoe that attaches to the stern. It helps a little but does not solve the wandering issue. I thought about trying to strap a full-length keel to it, but that seemed like it would lead to other potential issues.
Still a work in progress.
I've thought that a Grumman aluminum canoe with a full keel would work well, but I have yet to find someone who wants to sell thiers for $100..!
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum