diver and puddle

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

diver and puddle

Postby NS39340 » Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:09 pm

i always hunt puddle ducks i set out mallard pintail and gadwall dekes but am intrested in starting to hunt more divers i am going to order redheads and bluebills.................

1 will it appear unnatural for them to be next to each other (puddle and diver) not intermingled i know.

2 Do any divers decoy to bluebills the way puddle ducks decoy to mallard?

3 We always walk in at this spot ( the lake is WAYYYYYY up this year) and I can wade out about 15 - 20 yards right now......do divers sit way out from shore or will they decoy in close
NS39340
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:28 pm

It will not look unnatural at all. I shoot over a mix spread all the time. Up here we see rafts of Divers and Mallards all the time. The mallards are always on the outside. I’m not sure, but I think they are feeding on what the divers are stirring up.
. I’ve got a spot where I love to hunt bluebills, tons of feed and it’s only in 4ft of water. If the feed is there thy will show up. Late in the year I’ll set just a pair mallards.

Hope it helps.
State Moderator

Postby vacuum6 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:34 pm

a couple of notes....DO keep the divers separate from the puddlers. and remember ....the divers will land in the decoys, whereas the puddlers will most likely land short of the decoys. the divers are not worried about another diver duck jumping up (they take off along the water) the puddlers jump straight up so other puddlers don't like to land on top of swimming ducks. my rec....set your puddlers closer to your blind ...that is all this mumbo jumbo means.
vacuum6
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:55 pm

Don't worry about it at all.
When I was younger we never had anything but mallard decoys and we killed divers consistently over them.
Since we have diver decoys now, we mix them in with our puddle duck decoys. Around here that is how they all sit where we get the divers on the flood waters. Sure hasn't hurt us at all mixing puddle ducks and divers. Scouting and watching the birds in your area will normally tell you what they want. If you get a few copies of D.U. look in the back at the Greenwing section. They have a deal called Marsh Watch. It will normally have all sorts of species mixed together. Alot of times these are puddle ducks and divers.

Do what you want to do and if it pleases you to seperate them, then by all means go for it. :thumbsup:
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Return to Duck Decoy Forum