Connecticut decoy

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Connecticut decoy

Postby jerseywaterfowler » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Been spending the past few days starting the process of cleaning out my in-laws house in CT as my father in-law is in a home. While cleaning up came across duffel bags of decoys. They mostly appear to be home made and primarily bluebills. A simple cork on plywood with a counterweight screwed in. There were 4 of these things, which are huge, twice as big as any decoy and I am guessing was used for sea duck hunting on LI sound. Anyone ever seen such a thing?
Fitz
jerseywaterfowler
hunter

Re: Connecticut decoy

Postby Frank Lopez » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:41 am

It's a scoter decoy. They are sea ducks, sometimes called skunk heads. Scoters are fairly big birds anyway, but that looks like a magnum, hard to tell from the picture. Scoters are generally not too bright and will basically decoy to most anything. Thirty years ago, there were a lot of rigs that consisted of bleach bottles painted black and rigged on a long line. I think there are still some that use that method today. Might be worth something to a collector.

Frank
I feel slightly sorry for a man who has never patterned his gun, who has no idea how far his chosen load will retain killing penetration. But I'm extremely sorry for the ducks he shoots at beyond the killing range of his gun and load - Bob Brister
Frank Lopez
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum