Weasel Ball motion dekes

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Weasel Ball motion dekes

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:06 am

I know there is a long thread about this and I won't go into long details, but I read the thread last year and bought a couple of
AVERY GHG PRO-GRADE MALLARDs. I had put these together over the summer and had only float tested them in the sink.
I attached the weasel balls to the underside of the back flap with a screw and some silicone.
Last weekend I tried them for the first time and they worked great ! I placed one in the middle of each side of my spread and they wobbled and danced around a little, creating small waves and ripples, for over 3 hours! Still going strong when I picked up. I can't wait to set them out again, thanks to all the folks who posted their ideas on the thread, good stuff !!
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Re: Weasel Ball motion dekes

Postby gahunter706 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:19 am

I made 2 over the summer and they are great for making motion, especially in swamps where there is no movement at all. My only complaint is that both of mine are completely dead after about 2 hours of use. Maybe you are getting more time because the ball is attached to the decoy and mine are just rolling around inside the decoy.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:01 pm

Could be I guess..? I used regular AA batteries, nothing special. Next time out (and each and every time) I'll put in a fresh battery.
We did notice that we could hear a bit of a humming noise but nothing else, and it certainly didn't deter the ducks.
How much noise do they make with the ball rolling around inside ?
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby gahunter706 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:36 pm

MassDecoyCarver wrote:Could be I guess..? I used regular AA batteries, nothing special. Next time out (and each and every time) I'll put in a fresh battery.
We did notice that we could hear a bit of a humming noise but nothing else, and it certainly didn't deter the ducks.
How much noise do they make with the ball rolling around inside ?

I put them in a sock and they aren't too loud. There is a consistent thump coming from the decoy that we can hear if we are in a swamp with decoys only 10-15yds away, but on a big lake with decoys 30-40yds away we can't hear it. The ducks didn't seem to mind in either situation.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby WI_River_Hunter » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:28 pm

I put my weasel ball in a sock and then stuff it into the end of the decoy so it doesn't move around. I keep the ball oriented so that the motor spins around a vertical axis, rather than having to lift itself over a horizontal axis.

Using Eneloop rechargeable batteries, I get about 5+ hours per charge.
WI_River_Hunter
hunter

Postby gahunter706 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:23 pm

WI_River_Hunter wrote:I put my weasel ball in a sock and then stuff it into the end of the decoy so it doesn't move around. I keep the ball oriented so that the motor spins around a vertical axis, rather than having to lift itself over a horizontal axis.

Using Eneloop rechargeable batteries, I get about 5+ hours per charge.

Good idea, I will try that next time I use the weasel ball.
gahunter706
hunter

Postby BullGooseLooney » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:23 pm

Yeah, you need to mount the ball so that the motor's axis stays fixed in one of two orientations. If the ball can move around, thereby "moving" the motor's axis of rotation, you won't make more or "better" motion, but you will have a hard-plastic ball bouncing around your plastic decoy, causing noise. This constant noise will definitely will annoy you, and may even spook ducks--a sight that can make grown men cry. It will also hurt your battery life. All bad things. :mad:

So, let's get back to the two motor axis orientations that will be the best options for duck hunters . . .

(1) vertical axis orientation - In this orientation, the counter-weight on the motor (i.e., the AA battery and lead, bolt-on cover) tends to cause your deek to have a left-right-left oscillation. This position has multiple benefits. First, I've found that this position makes the most wake in your spread (and no, it's not too much). Second, because the motor does not have to "lift" and "lower" the attached counterweight, the motor has to do less work, improving battery life. This will usually be your best bet.

(2) horizontal axis orientation - If you choose this route, the counter-weight will tend to cause your deek to oscillate (or "bob") in a front-back-front fashion (Note: the counter-weight should be moving toward the front of the deek at the top of its rotation, so that the motor will also tend to cause your decoy to move slowly forward, not backwards, for a more life-like presentation). Because your deek is longer than it is wide, this orientation produces less wake than the first option, but it's still a respectable amount. You'll also be buying more batteries, because the counter-weight must rotate in vertical directions.

But, it produces great, life-like motion on surface feeder-type deeks--your deek's beak will bob in and out of the water as it slowly moves around in the water! :yes:
BullGooseLooney
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum