Hot Buy mallards?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Hot Buy mallards?

Postby vikingsfan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:23 pm

Does anybody know about or use the hot buy mallards from ghg. I've heard they're good and bad. i'm just lookin for some opinion b/c i'm thinkin of buying some.
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:47 pm

Here is my opinion. Hot buys are what they are. They are a great decoy for $20-$25. Some have paint problems, some don't. I believe they are a good decoy for the money. You can't expect a decoy that cheap to be flawless and they aren't. Now the lifesize and oversize series, thats an entirely different story... :eek:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:08 pm

avery ghg to many complaints about them. :thumbsdown:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:14 pm

I've got three dozen hotbuys, and I'm satisfied for the price for sure. Good way to put some numbers out for not a ton of $$$. I haven't used mine a whole lot yet, but so far I'm satisfied.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby aaron » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:17 pm

If they have the snap-lock keels then I'm not interested. :thumbsdown:
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:21 pm

i think they all have the snap lock keel. :thumbsdown:
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackkiller » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:35 pm

The Hot Buys don't have snap lock keels. The keel is weighted and is molded on to the decoy. I don't have any but I've looked at em at Bass Pro. Everything else GHG has snap lock except the Goose floaters.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:40 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:46 pm

I have some hotbuys and they look great and they are better then most of the other decoys I have.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby dgquail » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:47 am

Traditionally, I use G & H, I bought a dozen hot buys this past season, also bought some Herters decoys with the photo sytle finish. To me, the Herters bodies look the best, the Hot buys heads look the best, but we kill ducks over all of them.
dgquail
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:14 pm

I just purchased a set of Hot Buys at the end of the season....$12 bucks, and it appeared some of the paint had already come off, so I took my fingernail to one and sure enough...with little effort...somepaint came off. THis is before I ever used 'em. SO do I use em and let the pain come off, only to repaint them? Is there some kind of preventative measures i can take? Maybe a can of matte/clear spraypaint? or will this just make them shiny blocks on the water?
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:29 pm

yeah use krylon matte finish 1311. you should have a good paint on them in the first place though. before you use the matte.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:56 pm

i have a dozen hotbuys along with a couple of dozen of other GHG dekes. some lifesize mallards and Widgeons.

on the hotbuys...i'll say that they are a good deke for the money. at around 22-25 bucks a dozen you just can't beat em. yeah, maybe the paint will give you some trouble if your rough on your dekes like i am. (neck wrapped weights..tossed around the boat..etc.) still, even if you replace them every other season, what's another 25 bucks every 2 years?

as for the snaplocks..never had a problem with them. yeah, some of them can be a b***h to put on, but if you follow the instructions and make sure they "double snap" then you shouldn't have any issues. i have had one keel come off in 2 season of use and it was due to the cord getting under the keel when i wrapped it and lifted the keel from the body thus "releasing it" and allowing it to slide.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby labman45 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:34 pm

They are pretty much make up all my mallard decoys ,I am satisfied with them and will never buy a different brand of decoy. :salude:
labman45
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:23 am

I have 4 dozen of them that are two years old and they still look great. I haven't had a single problem with them at all.

You might like them and you might hate them. Of course you will never know until you try them. I like to experience things for myself. There is no way in the world I would worry about someone else's opinion on hunting gear or anything else for that matter. :thumbsup:
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:41 pm

Anybody else like me? I use a mix of GHG, Flambeau (cheap ones and good ones in standard size and magnum), Carrylite (cheap ones and good ones), Remington, Bond and G&H and who knows what else is mixed in among the 9 or 10 dozen I have. The mix has water keel, weighted keel, snap lok keels and some are even converted weighted to water and water to weighted. I've put a mix of ALL these out and killed ducks over them. I know some prefer only one type and one brand....to me it really doesn't matter. I refuse to spend $100 on a dozen dekes, if I can buy 2 dozen for $30 of a "not so hot rated" brand, then I'm spending $30. It's all about maximising my spread numbers and getting different "looks" and shapes in among the spread. Just my opinion.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum