Otter Decoys??

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Otter Decoys??

Postby DiscoDuck » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:15 am

Are any of you guys familiar with Otter Decoys from Iowa? I haven't been able to find any info on them. Had a guy give me 5 dozen bluebills a few years back. He didn't have any use for "merganser" decoys (haha, silly deer hunter). I was happy to free up the space in his garage for him. Any info would be appreciated.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby DuckMauler » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:31 am

http://www.otterdecoysales.com/

there is the link to their website, i had never heard of them, but those are some nice lookin decoys and there not all that expensive like i thought they would be!
Ephesians 4:32
DuckMauler
hunter

Postby Ned S » Mon May 07, 2007 11:54 am

Otter decoys were originally made on a farm a mile south of Mediapolis, Iowa. The molds and steam injectors have had several ownerships, with them now being made in West Burlington, Iowa. Save your money and buy the Herter foams from Cabelas. I have 30 of the super Mag Mallards from Herters I painted myself. I've burlapped 18 of them. Ned S formerly from Mediapolis, Ia.
Ned Swygard
Ned S
hunter

Postby DiscoDuck » Thu May 10, 2007 8:54 am

Thanks for the info guys. Not looking to buy more of them, just wondering what their deal was. If anything, I'd be decreasing numbers on the diver dekes. Numbers have been way down for the last few years.
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Re: Otter Decoys??

Postby rivercitycamo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:57 am

…. and the "Rest of the Story"….

The quality of the Otter Decoy went down the river. The company after moving to W Burlington had some SERIOUS quality issues. I heard tell that dropping one of them on a hard surface would cause the bodies to shatter into tiny styrofoam balls.

Otter Decoys has been purchased by someone right here in Muscatine, IA. The equipment is set up and soon Otter Decoys will be available once again. And they will be coming back at a quality level beyond that they have ever seen. The owner performed a test on the body of a standard mallard the other day…. by driving his pickup over it! Didn't even leave a dent!

Look for the return of the Otters we all love soon! I have hunted over them since I was a kid… and an excited to see their return. Check back to that website… and www.OtterDecoys.com soon for their new website and company contact information.
rivercitycamo
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am

Yeah that said "order now for 2004 prices".....
The bodies look ok but the puddle heads look pretty bad...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby rivercitycamo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:27 pm

I tell you what.... with the amount of water we have had for the last three years to hunt birds on... we would be lost without our Otters Decoys. There is no way we have enough water to even float a decoy with a keel.

Let's just say the ones I am using are the same decoys my Dad bought when they were produced West of Mediapolis, IA 40 years ago! They have been painted and repainted... shot and abused. A great investment in my mind. I plan to be the first dealer as soon as the first production run is ready. I can't think of a better product to invest in.
rivercitycamo
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:13 pm

rivercitycamo wrote:…. and the "Rest of the Story"….

The quality of the Otter Decoy went down the river. The company after moving to W Burlington had some SERIOUS quality issues. I heard tell that dropping one of them on a hard surface would cause the bodies to shatter into tiny styrofoam balls.

Otter Decoys has been purchased by someone right here in Muscatine, IA. The equipment is set up and soon Otter Decoys will be available once again. And they will be coming back at a quality level beyond that they have ever seen. The owner performed a test on the body of a standard mallard the other day…. by driving his pickup over it! Didn't even leave a dent!

Look for the return of the Otters we all love soon! I have hunted over them since I was a kid… and an excited to see their return. Check back to that website… and http://www.OtterDecoys.com soon for their new website and company contact information.

I am calling total BS on the drove over it and not a dent blather! I cast foam decoys and make em tough. You can not drive over expanded foam and not damage it. Solid EPS would survive and still be damaged. Expanded EPS would be destroyed!

Son, if you are going to be a dealer you are going to have to learn to be honest about your product, and become a sponsor on here as well!
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby luie b » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:23 pm

I've never heard of these guys and this is only 30 minutes from where I live! Pretty pricey deccoys though. I have no idea where these guys are at in West Burlington, never seen a shop of any kind.
luie b
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum