Goose decoys for confidence?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Postby Live to Hunt & Fish » Sun Apr 25, 2004 9:48 pm

Has anyone tried using goose decaoys for confidence decoys? If so, do you put them of to the side or do you mix them up with your duck decoys. How many goose decoys do you use per dozen duck decoys?
Live to Hunt & Fish
hunter

Goose decoys as confidence Decoys

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:41 pm

We just use about 4 floaters when we hunt water. We will use up to 10 floaters if we have all 5 dozen of our decoys out and have enough people to haul them. If you are hunting water, go get some goose feeder butts. We picked up 2 for $16. They are highly visible, and it seems to really attract the ducks around here.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:59 pm

Confidence decoys, in my opinion, dont work. At least, not the Blue Heron decoy we threw in off to the side of our goose spread.. Im not saying we didnt kill geese, but you couldnt tell the difference if we did or didnt have it.
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby Puddler » Thu May 06, 2004 4:01 pm

I use about a dozen goose decoys along with 4 dozen duck on the water. I put the geese just outside of the duck decoys about 5 to 10 yards. I would recommend to put a few black duck decoys near the geese or in between them.
Puddler
hunter

Postby Jeepman:-) » Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:34 pm

Another thing to try if you are able to is to place some on shore as well as a couple shells on land. I have seen some difference later in the season by having 2-3 dozen duck dekes tightly placed and 3-4 goose floaters on the edge then run them to the shore, on the shore, and on land.
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the proper application of HIGH EXPLOSIVES!
Jeepman:-)
hunter

Postby SteveInTN » Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:06 pm

We use them, numbers depend on the size of the rest of the spread. We place them so that the ducks DO NOT have to fly over them in order to land with the wind into whatever 'pocket' we have. Geese don't seem to mind coming in over the ducks but we've had fits when the wind shifts and the ducks have to fly over the geese in order to land.
"I'll start spending less time with my dog and more with my wife when she starts fetching ducks for me"
SteveInTN
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:09 pm

I use about a dozen floater 4 full body and a dozen shells with about 4 dozen duck decoys. but the number of decoys I use depends on the amount of geese in the area. when I set them out I usally put them in family group with the shells and full bodies together with about 4 floater. The rest of the floater I place just on the out side of my duck spred with about a dozen ducks mix in with them. It has worked for me I think it is also a good way of mixing things up.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby pj » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:29 pm

Ducks decoy better to goose decoys than they do duck decoys. Especially in fields. We usaully put out a dozen in a J on the outside edge of the landing zone. Works on singles and doubles of geese really well too.
For every tear a smile.
pj
hunter

Postby winchesterx2 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:28 pm

I use about 10 or 12 gosse floaters on the up wind side, away from my blind with about 10 yards of space between them and my duck decoys which are right in front of me with a small hole in the middle of that spread.[/b]
Delat waterfowl member, Father to the future of hunting and church member.
winchesterx2
hunter

Postby quackhunt1 » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:10 pm

I use about 4-12 goose decoys on the outside part of the spread but break them up with no less than 3 on a side with a 3 teardrop shaped spread. It has worked well in the later part of the season when the ducks have been shot at a few times. Just remember to use that goose call along with the duck, that usually seals the deal!
Happiness is falling feathers.
quackhunt1
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:16 pm

i use 3 dozen goose floater. 2 dozen puddlers and 2 dozen divers.the goose decoy seem to work good for confidence decoys.if we dont have time to put them all out. we put all the geese out first, because then you have a better chance of getting ducks or geese.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby horse » Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:20 pm

try running odd number of geese decs with 3to5 out beyond ducks and 2 to4 up closer to the boat or the rushes so it looks like there going in or coming out and it duse seem to help .I'm running 7cans and about 3 duzen ducks and it seemed to work good
smile all and have a great day all
horse
hunter

Postby Musselman » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:16 pm

I know a lot of people say that they seperate the duck and goose decs. I was down at the lake i hunt the other day and goose season is open but not duck and there was a flock of ducks and geese sittin in the shallows feeding. I watched them for a bit before i took out 2 geese and the ducks were mixed right in with the canadians. I dont know if it matters but im thinking of mixing up my decs this year. let me knwo what you guys think
Musselman
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:35 pm

musselman, i think its better to have them in groups.one side puddles other side geese.sometimes we put a small group of geese on the outside edge of the ducks.but i dont think mixing a few on each side together would hurt anything.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum