Hey decoy ?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Hey decoy ?

Postby Quak addict » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:42 pm

hey

i hunting big water and wondering how to set up my decoys.
any ideas?

Thanks ao much :thumbsup:
Quak addict
hunter

Postby 870 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:05 pm

Need more info. Are you hunting divers, or puddlers? Are you hunting out of a boat or on shore? Bays or points? Weed beds or roost?
State Moderator

Postby Quak addict » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:13 pm

hey

i am hunting for puddlers. i hunt out of a boat and on land too.
Quak addict
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:04 pm

First, I've found alot guys don't do their homework. They try to hunt big water by finding a place that looks good to them. That doesn't work out there. The number one rule is, you hunt where the birds want to be, not where you want them to be. Find where they are feeding, or sleeping and your half way there. I can't begin to tell how many times I've seen guys set up 3 and 4 doz decoys 20 yards off shore. To me that says we've just landed or we are uneasy with something on shore. I've found by placing my decoys just inches from shore works great. It tells them its safe to feed. Some guys say they won't see them. Remember #1 rule, your already where they want to be.

Do the same thing in the afternoon for the night hunt, where they roost I simply place my decoys from R/L . Don't be concerned with family groups this is big water. By having them that close to shore lets them land on the outside. I like sleepers and full bodies on shore. I hope this helps .
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:36 pm

good stuff 870.

Quack - you can really help yourself by putting in some time scouting and watching the birds. i recently had the pleasure of attending a seminar at our local waterfowl festival where Jim Ronquist for RNT Calls spoke on a topic that applys to this situation. the following is what i remember on the subject as laid out by Jim. i hope i am getting it all right. lol.

first, he talked about finding the flyways in your area. not the big migratory flyways, but the number local flyways ducks use to travel between feeding and resting spots. once you know where they are flying, find out what places along that flyway they like to use in different conditions. ie: they may like one end of the body of water in certain weather conditions, but may be a mile away on the other side of the lake in others. Bottom line was this, there are 3 ways to hunt ducks.

Be where they want to be - hard to go wrong here. the ducks are coming and only you can stop them.

Be where they don't mind going - maybe they didn't want to land here to begin with, but they see your dekes and hear you calling and think, "hey..that's not a bad spot. let's go there instead."

Be where they don't want to be - hope you brought a couple of sandwiches and a thermos of coffe. you're in for a long day.

as for deke spreads. personally, i like to use the most natural spread i can. like 870, i will try to imitate ducks at rest or at ease. since i try to be where the ducks are going to go anyway, dekes are more for confidence and to dictate their landing spots as opposed to actually attracting them in, so i don't worry too much about visiblity at a distance.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:08 pm

Great comments, Swamp Puppy.
State Moderator

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:14 pm

Swamp Puppy wrote:
Be where they want to be - hard to go wrong here. the ducks are coming and only you can stop them.

We spell that scouting in our neck of the woods. :umm: :hammering:
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:30 am

archeryrob wrote:
We spell that scouting in our neck of the woods. :umm: :hammering:

us too Rob. :salude:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum