Scouting ?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Scouting ?

Postby Quak addict » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:28 pm

hey

I have a new swamp but i have a problem.
I have no clue what to look for and where to start looking to see if there are ducks there.
can anyone help me ?
please

Thanks
Quak addict
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:32 pm

go out and sit near it once in the morning and again at night and watch them fly and land and listen for where they sit
duckbuster
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:17 pm

yeah, it's not much more difficult that just finding the time to go do it. unlike big game hunting, you already know where you are hunting and just need to know where the birds are. now is a good timie to go scouting. if you wait too far into spring all the northern birds will have left and you won't know what's what until next november.

grab a sandwich and maybe a camera and goo watch some birds.

:salude:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:18 pm

Quak addict on "Hey Decoy" you spoke hunting big water. The reason I'am asking is for safety reasons. Hunting big water is a different ball game. You just can't simply walk out and get help most of the time. For example I often travel 4 - 5 miles across open water to hunt. It runs from a few feet to almost 150 feet deep. And the nearest help is at least an hour away, thats if you can get a hold of them. Its not uncommon up here to hear of a duckhunter drowning because of something going wrong If you have any guestions on this matter I'll try to answer them. Don't get me wrong, I'll only hunt bigwater, for me its the only way hunt.
State Moderator

Postby DUKHTR » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:21 am

when scouting....I prefer to take the time for the serious scouting trip DURING THE SEASON! Of course I am scouting year round, but you never know if the birds are using the spot during the time you can hunt there unless you check during the season......scout ahead for your best observation points, hiding areas etc....but the best scouting time for knowing if the birds are there is at the time of year you will be hunting.....How many times have you thought a spot looked good, but have never ever seen a bird in there? I have it kinduv simple here in Maine....we cannot hunt on Sundays...so that is a scouting morning unless I am heading to NH....another thing I like to do is take an afternoon scout/hunt....it's easy to see where you are going, you'll get familiar with an area in the daylight and you can set markers or lines of sight etc....if they are there, you have some shooting or you know where you can get them in the pm.....if not, try a morning

I tried this technique this past season and found a bonanza! Got nada one afternoon, but figured out where to go, how long it would take etc...went back a week later in the morning and limited in a half hour shooting only one per flock...it was that busy! Went back again and li ited another morning just at teh end of the season....guess where I will be next year!!????
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Duck Decoy Forum