hankyorke wrote:Killerv nailed it.
I have cork decoys, wood decoys, foam decoys, and plastic decoys....that I've hunted over for 25 years.
The last five seasons or so, I only hunt with the plastics.
1. I don't have to be anally cautious in handling the plastics like I feel I have to be with the others.
2. The modern (Avian-X, ProGrades, etc.) plastics are far more realistic than the others.
3. Plastics are lighter than cork or wood.
4. Plastics don't take so much of my hunting budget.
5. Plastics ride better than foam in very windy conditions.
6. But plastics don't give me that warm/fuzzy feeling watching them out in front of my blind that cork/wood does.
Bottom line: modern plastics are more effective tools. Hand-carved cork may give you more satisfaction. It's really a personal thing, and the decision is yours.