Harlequin and Oldsquaw Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Harlequin and Oldsquaw Decoys

Postby star882 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Where is the best place to get Harlequin and Oldsquaw Decoys at a decent price. I have seen a couple on ebay but thats it. I might paint some old decoys but i would prefer to buy or barrow some. Also how many of each would you say is necessary?
star882
hunter

Re: Harlequin and Oldsquaw Decoys

Postby cfkid8 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 am

Not sure about harlequins but I only know of a few companies that make oldsquaw decoys. Sport Plast makes one and are available here: http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_duck/sea_duck.html
Bass Pro (redhead) also has an oldsquaw decoy, ive hunted over them, not the prettiest thing but they work and are affordable.
Avery/GHG did come out with them but I have heard they are way behind on production of them so they will be hard to find.
cfkid8
hunter

Postby washingtonmuley » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:42 am

cfkid8 wrote:Not sure about harlequins but I only know of a few companies that make oldsquaw decoys. Sport Plast makes one and are available here: http://www.knutsondecoys.com/decoy_duck/sea_duck.html
Bass Pro (redhead) also has an oldsquaw decoy, ive hunted over them, not the prettiest thing but they work and are affordable.
Avery/GHG did come out with them but I have heard they are way behind on production of them so they will be hard to find.

I have all three that you mention and the Avery are hands down the most realistic looking.
washingtonmuley
State Moderator

Postby star882 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:00 am

Thanks for the input. I think I decided to get some foamers for the harli's and just painted up scoters that have been working good for me this year. Not sure what route I wanna take on the oldsquaw yet.
star882
hunter

Postby loon » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:09 pm

I've painted quite a few old squaw decoys it's really not very hard I used GH G Widgeon's which turned out very nice and also use old pintail decoys. I like the head shape on the Widgeon's comparable to real old squaws and the pintails were a gift from an uncle that didn't use them anymore. It's a fun project in the winter and you'll have all you need in no time along with the satisfaction of hunting over decoys you kind of almost made
loon
hunter

Location: greenbay wisconsin on my back laying out on the bay

Return to Duck Decoy Forum