late season decoy spread

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

late season decoy spread

Postby quackhead7606 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:25 pm

:hi: well guys here in delaware it is becoming late in the season where the birds are all decoy and call shy. I was wondering what some of your suggestions was for decoy spreads this late in season. In past it was always 12 mallards out with 4 geese floaters off to the side while hunting ponds on state land. This year that has not worked. We are working with 3 dozen mallards, a dozen ghg puddler pack, half dozen teal, a floating mojo and a mojo on pole, and 4 goose floaters. And some field goose decoys. I was wondering if I should throw all out in with each other with geese off to side or seperate each species? Or should I just keep doin what I'm doin? Goodluck with rest of season. Thanks in advanced!
quackhead7606
hunter

Re: late season decoy spread

Postby mr.green » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:32 am

I hunt rivers in NJ. This late season I've had better luck with a dozen or less mixed ducks, two floating geese and 2 big foot full bodies. I stopped using the mojo as birds would never commit. Minimal calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mr.green
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:41 am

I'd agree with the use of some full bodies if you have a little patch of land where you are hunting. Everything is frozen up where I'm at, so I hunt a small stream. I use 6 full body mallards and 5 floaters. Over the weekend, I had a big flock flying by. I did one hail call and the entire flock came on over. I rarely call this late in the season. I only do it to get the bird's attention.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby quackhead7606 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:21 pm

Ok cool. Not many ponds are frozen where I'm at and they are calling for rain on the 14th when I'm going. I have been hearing some people say they are doing good with a lot of decoys down the road further but they are on river. The ponds we hunt are all less than a half mile off delaware river. But the best thing to do call wise is just call to grab attention? Friend of mine suggested I can use a canadian goose flag to grab attention of distance ducks but that just seams odd to me maybe. Lol
quackhead7606
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:58 am

quackhead7606 wrote: In past it was always 12 mallards out with 4 geese floaters... This year that has not worked..... should I just keep doin what I'm doin?

What is it they say about the definition of insanity? :wink:

Every year is different. It's up to you to learn something new each season. Otherwise they'll say at your eulogy "He had one year's experience, 60 times."
mudpack
hunter

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:51 pm

For motion, I'd throw out a jerk cord. They always work well for me. As for calling, listen to the calls in your area. Is everyone else calling lie crazy? If so, do a single hail call to a flock of ducks and then put the calls down. Also, if you have any sleeper decoys.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby quackhead7606 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:12 pm

We got 7 by 9am. Had 43 decoys a floater mojo a hi flyer mojo and 4 canada floater 4 bigfoot field decoys. Thanks guys!! Hope to have another good one sat.
Attachments
ResizedImage951389743716807.jpg
7 by 9:00am
quackhead7606
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum