avian x vs. dakota

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

avian x vs. dakota

Postby holtspur » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:01 pm

Which is the most durable?
holtspur
hunter

Re: avian x vs. dakota

Postby Fowlhunter22 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:22 pm

I run Dakotas we have 4 doz of them and they are incredible we just throw them all in a bag and go and have had no issues so far, tough as nails. But I am also interested in what people say about the Avian-X because I am thinking about getting a doz or so of them.
Fowlhunter22
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:27 pm

Honestly I'd say they are dead even as far as durability goes.

I think the Dakotas look better, and the Avain- X's are a very close 2nd to me.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 am

I don't own Dakotas, but have owned and used Avian-X (mallards) for two seasons and can tell you they look as good today as they did when I took them out of their plastic bags two years ago. (I hunt 35-55 days a season) They are more durable than any other decoys I've owned (GHG ProGrades are a close second), and their realism is far, far and away above what I've seen from Dakota.
For me, there would be no question on which I'd buy.

Now, if Avian-X just made pintail, gadwall, canvasback, and wigeon........ :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby holtspur » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:49 am

I wish they would make multiple species! Someone needs to compete with ghg in those areas. Since seeing the avian x at dicks I've thought the softer less rigi material would be great at holding paint and less likely to run paint off each other.
holtspur
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:18 am

I don't have Dakotas so I can't speak for them but I have been running a dozen of the Avians this year and here is what I have seen.

Realism: I don't think you can get another decoy that looks as real in the water. The Dakotas look great but they look like hunchback ducks. I will also say that if a duck is close enough to notice the difference, then it should be because it is floating dead in the decoys.

Durability: I don't know how durable the dakotas are but I could not imagine being able to Texas rig them. throw them across the garage floor, keep them in a mesh bag, use them to break the ice and toss them around in the truck without any, and let me repeat ANY blemishes to the decoy or paint like the avians.

Price: Definitely up there at $140/ dozen roughly. But they have been so durable that it seems to be a long term investment. SO compare that to buying some cheaper decoys every year I would say it is better in the long run.

I hope they come out with some other species like gadwall or teal because these decoys are ridiculous. And when I say ridiculous I mean that they are the best decoy on the market in my opinion (remember I have no input regarding the dakotas).
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Full Force Five » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:30 am

I've owned both. Both are very nice decoys overall. Both will get the job done and you'll kill plenty of ducks over both. Remember they are just decoys and only a small piece to puzzle. However, I think Avians are slighly better. I didn't think the dakotas handle big water very well. The keel is really small on the Dakota and didn't ride in the water very well. I do think the dakotas has a bigger "foot print". I wish the avians were slighly bigger. Both are durable for sure. Personally I can't get past the Quasimodo look.
I knew this would happen.
Full Force Five
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:39 pm

Hows this for a toughness test- I accidentally sucked two decoys up in to the auger of my snowblower. the GHG came shooting out the shoot in a billion pieces, and the Avian-X broke my sheer pin. Still looks brand new. :lol3:
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:51 pm

Both entirely too heavy. I'm not convinced geese even notice fine details. I've killed many with ugly cheap shells, heck even a buddy of mine used the huge mother goose layout blind for awhile. Not sure if they can tell these details? None the less both brands are entirely too heavy.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:06 pm

Duck_Stank wrote:Both entirely too heavy. I'm not convinced geese even notice fine details. I've killed many with ugly cheap shells, heck even a buddy of mine used the huge mother goose layout blind for awhile. Not sure if they can tell these details? None the less both brands are entirely too heavy.

thanks for your insights on duck decoys. :rolleyes:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby TRL91 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:26 pm

This is my second season with my Avian X Mallards. Texas Rigged thrown in back of truck and not a scratch. As long as they keep making a quality product I'll keep buying from them!
TRL91
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:52 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:Both entirely too heavy. I'm not convinced geese even notice fine details. I've killed many with ugly cheap shells, heck even a buddy of mine used the huge mother goose layout blind for awhile. Not sure if they can tell these details? None the less both brands are entirely too heavy.

thanks for your insights on duck decoys. :rolleyes:

My goodness...I'm sorry, ha that was not needed. Assumptions make an ass outta ya sometimes. Sorry guys and op.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby PAwaterfowldominator » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 am

Both are awesome. Personally I love Avains and think they are the best mallad decoy on the market. The entire line of Dakota dekes look a little too cartoonish for me.
PAwaterfowldominator
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:29 am

I run dakotas. They are not walk in decoys although I have walked in with them multiple times. I end up dragging them across the ground im walking on. Can't tell a difference as far as paint coming up just some flocking coming off. Its hard to think that another decoy could take my abuse.
txhunter90
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:37 am

Duck_Stank wrote:I'm not convinced geese even notice fine details.

I agree.
Any bird that will decoy to old tires is not what I'd call detail-oriented, either. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:20 am

FWI, Avian will be releasing green wing teal, blue wing teal, pintails, woodducks, and full body mallards for this season.
TRL91
hunter

Postby holtspur » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Where did you here this TRL91? Wonder how long before they release images??
holtspur
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:13 am

Hope that's true, I'll be all over those full bodies...don't really need any decoys other than mallards but I like having Gadwall decoys, idk why.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby TRL91 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:22 am

holtspur wrote:Where did you here this TRL91? Wonder how long before they release images??

Talked to a "high up" who is a very reliable source. I haven't seen pictures personally.
TRL91
hunter

Postby holtspur » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:36 am

Ok just wondered. I know I can't wait to see what the come up with. I'm sure they'll look better than Dakota's teal.
holtspur
hunter

Postby MO duck slayer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:58 pm

I ran all Dakotas this year and had them in slotted bags at the beginning then realized that it was not worth doing that and texas rigged them and put them in a bag, I am now going to Avian X, because of the new hen paint. Hoping Avian is gonna have some pics soon. Hope Avian X is as good to me as my Dakotas have been.
MO duck slayer
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:53 am

I dont slot my dakotas of course the flocking is coming off but these things are right, even with mild wind these things move
txhunter90
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum