suk duck opinions

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

suk duck opinions

Postby mdfowlman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:13 pm

im looking to buy some decoy mold for 2 part poly
does anyone have the suk duck style molds, do they hold up or should I get the full bottom decoy mold im looking for durability
mdfowlman
hunter

Re: suk duck opinions

Postby quackshot » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Try theburpyfrog on ebay he has a full line of molds and sells an insert to bolt in the mold to make it a suk duk or leave it out for a flat bottom decoy.
quackshot
hunter

Postby koonce727 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:36 am

may get a better answer on the workingdecoyforum.
Burlap Brothers Guide Service
koonce727
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 am

I have some foam Herter's suck-type decoys, and frankly I see no advantage in that style.
They do not "suck down" onto the water, and without a keel, wrapping anchor lines kills the paint.
mudpack
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 pm

Uh, they suc........ :lol3:

The real advantage to the suc style bottom is that they take far less foam to make a decoy. If you plan to use two part foam, DO NOT use the Burpy Frog inserts! Use an actual mold made to be a suc duc style or just make full body foamers.

I have large goose mold that is a suc duc style. If you want to keel your birds you can cut a notch in the front and rear centerlines of the body and mold in a trex keel. You can screw or bolt weights to the keel to make it roll over when tossed and remove them when you want to carry the decoys somewhere. If you put the weight up inside the body cavity on top of the keel piece you don't have the weight beating up the other decoys and the keel doesn't as well.

Unless you are making magnum, super magnum, or large goose decoys I would just make full body decoys. I would think twice before suc dukking even magnums. Your use 4 lb foam for two part bodies and that stuff goes a long ways.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby mdfowlman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:35 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Uh, they suc........ :lol3:

The real advantage to the suc style bottom is that they take far less foam to make a decoy. If you plan to use two part foam, DO NOT use the Burpy Frog inserts! Use an actual mold made to be a suc duc style or just make full body foamers.

I have large goose mold that is a suc duc style. If you want to keel your birds you can cut a notch in the front and rear centerlines of the body and mold in a trex keel. You can screw or bolt weights to the keel to make it roll over when tossed and remove them when you want to carry the decoys somewhere. If you put the weight up inside the body cavity on top of the keel piece you don't have the weight beating up the other decoys and the keel doesn't as well.

Unless you are making magnum, super magnum, or large goose decoys I would just make full body decoys. I would think twice before suc dukking even magnums. Your use 4 lb foam for two part bodies and that stuff goes a long ways.

I plan on going with the oversize but not magnum. I think they diver body is 14" long. I also plan on using 4lb bodies and 8lb heads.
mdfowlman
hunter

Postby quackshot » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:08 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:Uh, they suc........ :lol3:

If you plan to use two part foam, DO NOT use the Burpy Frog inserts! Use an actual mold made to be a suc duc style or just make full body foamers.

Does the foam stick to the inserts? I would like more info. I have one of the inserts but have not tried it yet.
quackshot
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:14 am

The foam will expand under the insert edges and you will rip part of the foam body off on each bird getting it out of the mold. The alternative is to bolt the insert I place and JB Weld the seam closed. If you want to be able to remove the insert, wax the bottom of the mold around the insert edge. Once the JB we sets up it will pop loose and still have a tight fit to the bottom when you bolt the insert back in place.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Sailorman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:23 am

I've not molded decoys, but looking into it. I am responding to the comment on what is the point of suc-duc/goose decoys. I am pretty happy with my suc-goose decoys I bought years ago. I used weights when in water (tethered to an eye bolt that sticks out of the bottom of the head), the only trick is making sure they go in right side up, so I place them instead of throwing them in the water. I alsso would place a couple on the grass as well (especially before I bought shells specifically for that). Since there is no keel, they "sit" nicely. :smile:
Sailorman
Newb

Return to Duck Decoy Forum