Mixed Bag

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Mixed Bag

Postby scruggs12 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:19 pm

In my never ending quest to have a different decoy spread than the rest. What are your thoughts on the following

1-I have some GWT and Pintail hen decoys that I rarely use. Which would make a better repaint for a coot? Body sizes, etc. Both are Flambeau standard water keel. The water I hunt is bigger in size but holds lots of divers and puddlers. I was thinking of using black truck bed liner for durability and then Killz for the beak (tougher than paint).

2-My spread will be the following-
-6 wigeon-standard size
-6-10 mallards-4-6 hen 2-4 drakes drake (mimic late season pairing, also of various size)
-5 ringnecks
-2-4 pintails (Possibly)
-3-4 generic diver re-paints (the later 2 on the outside of the spread (furthest from the blind)
-4 magnum goose floaters
-Lastly the coot re-paints off to the side
scruggs12
hunter

Re: Mixed Bag

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 am

dupe
Last edited by mudpack on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:46 am

scruggs12 wrote: What are your thoughts on the following
1-I have some GWT and Pintail hen decoys that I rarely use. Which would make a better repaint for a coot?

Neither of those decoys would make a convincing coot; the body/head/necks on either are nowhere near what a coot is in either size or shape.
Just buy a half dozen coot decoys.
mudpack
hunter

Postby scruggs12 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:57 pm

mudpack wrote:
scruggs12 wrote: What are your thoughts on the following
1-I have some GWT and Pintail hen decoys that I rarely use. Which would make a better repaint for a coot?

Neither of those decoys would make a convincing coot; the body/head/necks on either are nowhere near what a coot is in either size or shape.
Just buy a half dozen coot decoys.

It was more to just look different and draw attention from further away. I definitely appreciate the input. Trying to re-purpose old decoys.
scruggs12
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum