A Few Questions

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

A Few Questions

Postby redheaded » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:55 pm

Hey all,
As you can see i'm new here, but not not entirely to duck hunting. And like all new guys, I have a couple questions!

1. I'm always trying to put an extremely realistic spread out and the places that I hunt (mostly shallow pools of a small river) have nice shallow spots that are only a an inch or two deep. It seems to me like it'd be great to have a pair of sleeping mallards or something of the sort, but it is a good walk in and I'm pretty limited in space. What are your opinions on having a pair of fullbody mallards, and where could I purchase this specific number?

2. Continuing with the realism flocking highly interests me. I'd like to try a few wigeon and teal in the offseason, but where can I get these colors?

Thanks for your patience and answers!
redheaded
hunter

Re: A Few Questions

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:25 pm

I'd get some Dakota or Blue collar decoy full bodies if you go this route.

And Fowl flocker has some flocking in multiple colors and kits. But for the time, and durability flocking isnt worth it to me. I flocked some goose decoys with the fowl flocker stuff and its held up O.K. and it looks pretty good but its time consuming and really just looks better in the hunter's eyes.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:02 pm

full body mallards look really good in shallow water and add a different look to the ducks which is always helpful.

These are a couple of tanglefree decoys I flocked. If your flocking isn't durable, you aren't doing it right.

woodduck31
hunter

Postby redheaded » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:30 pm

I'll definitely try fowlflocker... They don't make kits for duck species other than mallard do they?

Those tanglefrees are beautiful! And I agree that it'll look good but am not sure where to get just a few as the smallest pack I've seen is six?
redheaded
hunter

Postby redheaded » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:30 pm

I'll definitely try fowlflocker... They don't make kits for duck species other than mallard do they?

Those tanglefrees are beautiful! And I agree that it'll look good but am not sure where to get just a few as the smallest pack I've seen is six?
redheaded
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum