Geese floaters in puddler spread

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Geese floaters in puddler spread

Postby duckeer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 am

Hey guys, longtime lurker here. I have some posts on the WV forum but this is my first in the honey hole. I was looking for some advise on mixing goose floaters in with my duck dekes for duck hunting. I have heard that this can be deadly but I have never done it. I want to give it a try on Saturday to hopefully get some of these tough birds to decoy. Andy advise would be greatly appreciated.
duckeer
hunter

Re: Geese floaters in puddler spread

Postby mudpack » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:40 am

Saw your same post on the other forum. The answers you got there are pretty good.
mudpack
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:03 pm

I always add a couple of Canada floaters to my puddler spread (coastal), set them off to one side. It brings in a few geese, but not sure that it does anything for the ducks though.
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby DOT3 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:28 pm

New guy myself, but I switched to almost exclusively using goose decoys to hunt ducks. A dozen canadas (that's all I currently own) and only 3-5 ducks. Results were awesome. Previously stale birds starting commiting with a vigor like you wouldn't believe. And to top it off, we were finishing these birds with goose calls. Never even picking up the duck calls. I'm going to stockpile Canada decoys (floaters, shells, whatever) in the offseason and be ready for next year. I wouldn't have believed it worked until I tried it. The swamp, the field, the river, whenever ducks flew over, they absolutely noticed my spread. And I believe the high pitched honking carries further than the lower frequency reverb of a duck call. Absolutely worked for us during the final split in NC. Gadwall, Mallard, even Ringnecks
DOT3
hunter

Postby noweil » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 am

DOT3 wrote:New guy myself, but I switched to almost exclusively using goose decoys to hunt ducks. A dozen canadas (that's all I currently own) and only 3-5 ducks. Results were awesome. Previously stale birds starting commiting with a vigor like you wouldn't believe. And to top it off, we were finishing these birds with goose calls. Never even picking up the duck calls. I'm going to stockpile Canada decoys (floaters, shells, whatever) in the offseason and be ready for next year. I wouldn't have believed it worked until I tried it. The swamp, the field, the river, whenever ducks flew over, they absolutely noticed my spread. And I believe the high pitched honking carries further than the lower frequency reverb of a duck call. Absolutely worked for us during the final split in NC. Gadwall, Mallard, even Ringnecks

^^This. The best duck decoys I own are my goose floaters. I run small spreads but 3-11 goose floaters with maybe 2-3 mallards has worked better for me killing ducks than a couple dozen duck decoys. Somedays I don't even put out the duck decoys and they still come in. Probably 95% or more of the time the ducks land or swim right into the goose decoys. I think I put the ducks out just to make myself feel comfortable when calling the ducks with a mallard call. When I don't put any duck decoys out, I can still finish the mallards right in the goose decoys with the duck call.

DOT3, I don't know that more decoys are needed if you are successful with the dozen you have. Have you ever tried 4 or 5 or 7 and see how the birds respond. If you are in a good spot I the 2-3 decoys will seal the deal.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby DOT3 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:34 pm

noweil, Yeah, I have used lots less and it works just as well. I want to stockpile so that I can hunt more open water and pull ducks from farther yadi yadi yada. 5 shells and a pair of mallards is the easiest trip to the swamp ever! Those shells do pretty well resting on top of a floating duck decoy if there are no grass clumps to float 'em on. If I'm on the river (mine is about 45 yards wide at the widest) I'll string a dozen canadas 60 yards or more along the bank in groups of 2 and 3 and put a couple mojos somewhere in there (depending on whether the ducks are landing on the mojo or are over/undershooting it. You know how finicky they can be about a mojo, so I like to stay flexible.) But most of my drawing power comes from the geese and the goose calling, with numbers dictated by what's in the area and whether they're flocked up/paired off, etc. If I can get my goose spread to resemble what the real geese are doing, the ducks don't think twice about dropping by. But I'm trying to keep this little trick a secret, at least around my parts, so that I can perpetually look different from the multitudes. lol
DOT3
hunter

Postby DOT3 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:36 pm

P.S. I will finish them with a few excited half quacks if they want to circle or light outside the decoys. If they've responded to the goose deeks and calls, but won't quite commit, they'll consistently set in our laps with a few notes on the mallard call.
DOT3
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum