HELP!! diver dekes

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

HELP!! diver dekes

Postby NS39340 » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:11 pm

ther's some diver dekes cheap i can get used there G&H but therre 9 hens and 3 drakes. i have heard bluebill are stupid.......would they care. btw i am gettin another dozen g&h so the ratio will be 15 hens 9 drakes.
(I AM JUST GETTIN INTO DIVER HUNTIN) i hunt dabblers all the time
NS39340
hunter

Postby InTheDecoys » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:07 pm

Paint em up like drakes :thumbsup:
InTheDecoys.... Take em
InTheDecoys
hunter

Postby duckbum13 » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:37 pm

i dont think it would matter or if they really look that close......but geese you might want to paint them all liek females :toofunny: jk
might as well start callin me the pit man
duckbum13
hunter

Postby SwampHunter » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:13 am

I would paint most of them up like drakes. The black and white stands out better, but it doesn't hurt to have a few hens in the bunch. :thumbsup:
SwampHunter
Membership permanently suspended

Postby 870 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:57 pm

NS. If you can get a chance, watch a raft of divers, you’ll find 3 – 6 drakes to every 1 hen. You decide what looks right to you. Try to find this book. “Complete waterfowl studies” by Bruce Burk volume 2 Diver Ducks its pricey about $40. It’s filled with great pic’s. I know it will help. A cheaper way is to look in the pages of a DU mag I use both. One bit of advice instead of painting all your decoys, just stay on one until your happy with the way it looks then paint the rest.
State Moderator

Postby 2rivers » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:24 pm

paint most of them black no other color they stand out better on cloudy and sunny days and when hunting divers they really just need to see a spread on the water to get them to look and start working a lot of the time. Leave a few with some white as the white shows up on sunny days. go out and look at rafts of bluebills from a distance of more than 50 to 100 yards and you see very little white on them mainly the dark colors and it doesnt matter a whole lot when they get close. do the same with your decoys and you will see why i say to paint them black.
2rivers
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:02 pm

most of our diver hunting around here is for bluebills. i can't say how "intelligent" your bluebills are, but these are dang stupid when it comes to decoys.

you can spend alot on blubill dekes..and alot of people do and i'll bet they work great. we just slap some black and white spray paint on some old Flambeau Mallard dekes and call it good.

just paint the entire deke black...then spray the areas around the wings on both sides white. works like a charm. you can even connect the 2 big white side patches with a white stripe running across the back from side to side. better visability from above.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 870 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:06 pm

N S, Granted, if divers were to fill out a résumé NASA wouldn’t be found on their former employers list, but then again you wouldn’t find it on most duck hunters résumés either. We might be crazy, but were not stupid. Keep in mind when divers make the big push they can travel hundreds of miles before stopping. Flying over a lot of hunters, thus they’re not as decoy, or gun shy as the puddlers might be. If you bang on them a few times thy smarten up quick.
Let me as you this, do you really want to just slap on paint, or do you want learn the art of painting decoys? Anybody can slap paint on and call it good, but how do you improve as a duck hunter by doing that. Take minute ask your self from last year to this year, have I improved as duck hunter? I ask myself that each year, and one thing I try to improve on is my painting
Some will say screw-painting decoys just go out and buy them already painted. Again anybody can do that. Take your duck hunting to a deeper level, learn the art. Nothing is cooler than having fellow hunters at the boat launch come up and say, “you paint those good looking decoys” Then the greatest complement comes when those divers set down in your decoys, you painted.
This, I’m sure going to sound strange, but to me duck hunting isn’t a sport, but an art form. And paintings only one part of it. Push yourself to improve don’t settle.
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:45 am

i shur wuld like to say sumthin in reeply to that remark, but a dern possum gone and done run off wit my "witty replies fer idiyuts" book i keep here by this compooter thingy. done chu worry yerself none though...just azz soon azz i git dun loadin' up some shotgunny shells with these here ol ball bearings and braidin' me up a nice new lanyard with mah back hairs...i'll git that ol possum and then i'll have me a right good come back fer you. izz like to reeeload mah own shotgunny shells and make mah own lanyads cuz these artsy crafty thingys makes me ah better hunter next seezun. ahhl my buddys git on down to the gun range and practice thur shootin at them fancy clay peejun thingys or git out and scout for burds...i say shoot that all the heck. i git all the huntin skills practice i need right here at my keetchun table with mah arts and craftys.

gotta git goin...i can a hear that possum eatin away at my book. if he eats dem pikchurs ahl be in a right bit o trouble cuz i cant reed soo good.

:laughing:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:33 pm

Swamp Puppy, your reply was to funny, great job. Try to understand my post wasn’t personal, but directed toward an attitude I find all over.
As duck hunters we stand together facing many challenges for the future of are sport. As we move toward that future I find that most of the hunters today are loosing a strong sense of our past. Of what it took to hunt, and the challenges thy faced, in times past.
Try to understand me; I’m not “artsy craftsy” I’m just one of those “ I can do that” kind of guys. I didn’t buy my boat blind or my lay outs boats I built them. I didn’t send my dogs to be trained I did it myself. All of my decoys other than my mallards I painted. To me that keeps me in touch with the duck hunters that went on before me, and made this sport what it is today. So I try to past that on to those who are coming up behind me. We need a sense of balance of where were going, and where we came from. There was no offence intended 870
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:36 pm

glad you got a laugh 870....i was hoping you had a good sense of humor.

:salude:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:47 pm

Be careful if you get too many drakes. This year we had a couple of drake dekes get hung up together and float one right beside the other with another drake close behind. Most people would think that was OK, but the ducks didn't. We only killed one teal and it had a lisp, was very well groomed, and had great fashion sense. It had also very sweet meat when we cooked him. The moral of this story is if you are hunting around San Francisco or Key West the more drakes the better, but every where else you want to have it pretty even with the guys and dolls. :toofunny:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:54 pm

What I also find funny Swamp Puppy is that we haven’t heard from this NS guy since the 23rd of Feb. Did he die, or just fall off the face of the earth?
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:20 pm

maybe the ducks got him........... :help:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:29 pm

Look SP I just booked us two flights bring lots of shells.
State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:26 pm

SP and 870...defenders of freedom, slayers of ducks.

:salude:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum