Hunting on Ice Water - Decoy Presentation

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Hunting on Ice Water - Decoy Presentation

Postby Grayling » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:26 am

First time poster, long time lurker, but new to duck hunting.

It was probably not worth my time this morning to head out to my friend's lease and attempt to hunt some ducks in 20 degree weather. The water in the flooded timber area was frozen about 2+ inches thick. We kicked open a 4 square-foot section (all we could manage) and placed a couple of decoys with a mojo in that section (I took your advice and got some GHG Pros).

We had a couple of ducks take a quick look but nothing would commit to them. When it is cold outside and most everything is frozen over (including the lake we passed on the way out), is it even worth placing out some decoys? If so, how would you have arranged them?
Grayling
hunter

Re: Hunting on Ice Water - Decoy Presentation

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:14 pm

if you cant open a hole bigger than 4sqft you might as well have stayed home..... thats only a 2ftx2ft hole. and with 2in of ice you could easily open a much bigger hole, and push some large sheets of ice under ice that surrounds the hole. Toss out 1-2doz mallard deocys around the edges (sleepers/ rester decoys if ya got 'em) and leave some what of a landing hole in the center of the hole. maybe a small number (half doz) of full body rester or looker decoys on the ice. Then leave the mojo at home.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Grayling » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:54 pm

Thank you for your response and advice.

I think my brain was still frozen when I wrote previously; not 4 square feet. It was more like a 6' X 4' swath near the bank heading in to the flooded bottom.

We put in 4 mallards and a teal in a close formation.

We did not bring anything to break up the ice, unfortunately, so we were kicking out sections. When we hunted on Monday, there was not much ice so we thought a simple wade would break up anything that had frozen.

As the water got a bit deeper, we did not have the leverage to clear out any more ice (well without risking hypothermia). We managed to throw most of the large sections on the bank, but could not do much with the rest. Therefore, the ducks were sitting in what looked like ice water (with chunks in it). When we left after about 3 hours, the decoys had frozen to the water.
Grayling
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:18 am

sliding bigger sheets under ice that you wont break will be your best be in keeping the little chunks away. I used my little duck boat and trolling motor on its lowest setting to keep the water moving, open, and keeps the little chunks out of the hole like ducks have kept it clear.

chainsaws, axes, and tools like are great for cutting ice. the trick is to circle the entire hole you want to open up and break out the center, then break it into 2-4 still large sheets and slide them under the other stuff. Did it a few times this season and had ducks bomb in with no calling need.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby Brandon_Rad » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:09 am

I have actually set up on a completely frozen pond below a main flyway and put one mojo up and 5-7 full body ducks right on the ice and they cupped pretty hard and didn't think twice. I was completely shocked. I haven't tried again so it might of been a fluke but it worked that day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Brandon_Rad
hunter

Postby Grayling » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:16 pm

Thank you for your comments. I will try to be better prepared next time.
Grayling
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum