What would be a good open water decoy setup ?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

What would be a good open water decoy setup ?

Postby Td2466 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:58 pm

I've done some scouting and came up with three very promising spots for next season. All spots are open water.

The first spot is on a fairly large lake and it is located in a medium sized cove.
The second spot is across the street from the first spot and is a decent sized pond mixed with some swampy marshy areas.
The third spot is on a pond that is half open water and half swampy marsh with a highway about 300ft away.

What kind of decoy setup would work best?
Would the same decoy setup work for each location or should I switch it up?
Td2466
hunter

Re: What would be a good open water decoy setup ?

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:17 am

Use a modified J-set with mixed divers and gadwalls. Then, add at least seven Mojos and two baby mojos. Put the Mojos in the hole. If the wind is from the SSW, switch to a semi C-set and use just six Mojos and two baby mojos. Put the divers at the NNE corner of the hole, with the baby mojos. If the temps are below 16degrees F., trade out the gadwalls for 9 GW teal drake decoys, and put them up close to the far bank. Use this setup during the first 45 minutes of shoot time. After that, pull the divers and two of the Mojos, and move the remaining decoys into an L-set with only wigeon hens, half rigged head-on, half rigged tail-on.
You should limit out every time. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Postby jscheirer » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Td... you've done the hard part and have some spots to hunt. How long have you been hunting? The best I can say is experiment with spreads. I can assure you an open water setup will not be the same as some ponds. Don't be afraid to try new things and do whatever you want!

Try and match whatever you see in the area though. Thats the main thing
jscheirer
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:31 pm

You have given us nothing to work with. Depth of water, types of open water birds, flock sizes you see roosting in open water, how many groups and sizes roosting, etc..... ? What are you situational requirements? Hunting from a boat or shore?
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Td2466 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:44 pm

The first spot is about 1-4ft. It reaches 4 feet about 20 yards away from shore. There are mostly mallards and woodies but other species occasionally stop there to rest and feed. Flock sizes are usually about 10-15 birds. From what I've seen there's usually at least two flocks that pass by every 15 minutes. I will be hunting from the shore.

Everything I previously stated goes for the second spot as well but the second spot averages about 2 1/2 feet and there's usually more woodies.

The third spot averages from 3-4 1/2 feet and has a large variety of puddle ducks. I will be hunting from either the shore or a boat depending on the day
Td2466
hunter

Postby Td2466 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:46 pm

I have 12 mallards decoys to work with, 6 wood ducks, and 8 Canadian geese
Td2466
hunter

Postby Td2466 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:46 pm

jscheirer wrote:Td... you've done the hard part and have some spots to hunt. How long have you been hunting? The best I can say is experiment with spreads. I can assure you an open water setup will not be the same as some ponds. Don't be afraid to try new things and do whatever you want!

Try and match whatever you see in the area though. Thats the main thing

I've been deer and turkey hunting with my dad since I was 5. We always meant to go waterfowl hunting but he passed away before we got the chance so this will be my first duck season. Thanks for the tips!
Td2466
hunter

Postby richard133 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:17 pm

mudpack wrote:Use a modified J-set with mixed divers and gadwalls. Then, add at least seven Mojos and two baby mojos. Put the Mojos in the hole. If the wind is from the SSW, switch to a semi C-set and use just six Mojos and two baby mojos. Put the divers at the NNE corner of the hole, with the baby mojos. If the temps are below 16degrees F., trade out the gadwalls for 9 GW teal drake decoys, and put them up close to the far bank. Use this setup during the first 45 minutes of shoot time. After that, pull the divers and two of the Mojos, and move the remaining decoys into an L-set with only wigeon hens, half rigged head-on, half rigged tail-on.
You should limit out every time. :thumbsup:

LOL
richard133
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum