Duck Hunting Forum banner

Need info for repainting decoys

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  DE-Bowhunter 
#1 ·
I know this topic has probably been talked about, but I can't locate it here. I'm in the process of repainting mallard decoys, but i'm having trouble matching paint. I want to use a spray paint to make life easier on me. Anybody got any info on what colors of paint to use. I'll probably be using Krylon Fusion to paint the dekes. Any help would be incredible, and if anybody knows exactly where a post is at, please let me know. Thanks guys!

#2 ·
Use the search button at the top right corner of the page. Type in Repainting dekes and select the duck decoy forum and you will find all the posts ever brought up about it. :thumbsup:

#3 ·
heres the way i paint my burlap decoys
HEN

2438 Satin Khaki - Beak to just short of the butt.

4292 Ultra Flat Brown - Heavy at the butt and then blending lighter as you get to the head. Then, dark stripe the back, top, and forehead leaving the face lighter.

2420 Satin White - Tail feather and underside of butt.

The Beak is Orange with a drop or two of Brown acrylic from Wally-World Craft Dept. Don't forget your splotch of black on the beak and tip. I used a Metallic Blue for the Speculum.

1311 Krylon Matte top coat.

DRAKE

2423 Satin River Rock - Back and wings

2424 Satin Hunter Green - Neck and head

2327 Spring Grass / Safety Green - Just ONE quick sweeping fog only on the sides of the face leaving the top of the head and base of the neck dark.

4292 Ultra-Flat Camo Brown - Complete Breast, one quick stripe around neck and down the backbone to the tail, then a quick single stroke from the tail feather up to but not all the way to the breast on each side.

2421 Satin Black - Curly Q tail feathers and underside of butt.

2420 Satin White - Just a spritz on the tail feathers, both top and underside.

The beak is straight Antique Yellow acrylic from Wally then a quick stripe around the neck with White and a verticle stripe at the base of the butt. I experimented with a Speculum on the Drake but it's not worth it since it wasn't incorporated into the design of a Hot Buy.

1311 Krylon Matte topcoat.

DONE!!

I did the same step to all the decoys before moving on to the next color. On a warm day (yesterday for me), this Fusion Paint dried in about 2 minutes.

I'd practice on a couple first to get your spray pattern figured out and how fast you have to move and how close you can get before your paint runs. I just wear a latex glove and hold the decoy by the keel while I paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.