Best bang for your buck decoys?

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Mean Gene » Wed May 14, 2014 10:45 pm

Rick Hall wrote:I've a bunch of mallard hens like this:
Image

And hen teal with heads just like its. My GHG paint experience has been too mixed to trust. Most recently bought some Pro Grade teal three seasons that's heads have faded but not gone green, yet, but some are chipping or slipping paint.



You can just put those ugly decoys in a box and send them to me. I'll bet I can find a use for them. :lol3:


Curious as to what luck folks have had with clear coating those decoys right out f the box? Does it make a difference in the paint's longevity?
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Someplace


Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Hawk87 » Thu May 15, 2014 7:21 am

Mean Gene wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:I've a bunch of mallard hens like this:
Image

And hen teal with heads just like its. My GHG paint experience has been too mixed to trust. Most recently bought some Pro Grade teal three seasons that's heads have faded but not gone green, yet, but some are chipping or slipping paint.



You can just put those ugly decoys in a box and send them to me. I'll bet I can find a use for them. :lol3:


Curious as to what luck folks have had with clear coating those decoys right out f the box? Does it make a difference in the paint's longevity?


Can I just say it kind of bugs me to pay 10 dollars a decoy and still have to clear coat them? If clear coating out of the box is required, that says a lot about a decoys durability.
Public spots can be:
-Good
-Easy to get too/ find
-Not crowded

Pick Two
Hawk87
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:17 pm
Location: Utah

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Thu May 15, 2014 11:54 am

I clear coated a bunch. Clear coating does absolutely nothing if the paint is chipping. It will still chip. It does minimal protection against scratching. The majority of my hotbuy mallards I painted into redheads with $.97 acrylics. Paint has held up a lot better.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2900
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Mean Gene » Thu May 15, 2014 1:32 pm

I clear coated a bunch. Clear coating does absolutely nothing if the paint is chipping.



Did you notice any difference in paint fading or staining? What did you use for the clear coat?
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Someplace

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Sat May 17, 2014 12:03 am

Mean Gene wrote:
I clear coated a bunch. Clear coating does absolutely nothing if the paint is chipping.



Did you notice any difference in paint fading or staining? What did you use for the clear coat?

Krylon 1311 is what I used. No fading or staining. I do 3 very light coats in about 45 minutes.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
User avatar
JuniorPre 360
hunter
 
Posts: 2900
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Canal de Panama

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby woodduck31 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:13 am

clear coat has minimal benefit. It can hold things together by encapsulating the decoy, much like just putting on another skin, but the problem isn't the paint, the problem is the plastic surface wasn't prepared properly. Very few decoy companies have consistent surface prep. From a durability standpoint we don't get very many higdon or dakota decoys in for repair and painting and that's a good indicator of the durability of their paint. Higdon has some of the best prices on decoys around, especially for a foam filled decoy at $60 and $70 a dozen.
User avatar
woodduck31
hunter
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Rick Hall » Sat May 17, 2014 9:33 am

Mean Gene wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:I've a bunch of mallard hens like this:
Image

And hen teal with heads just like its. My GHG paint experience has been too mixed to trust. Most recently bought some Pro Grade teal three seasons that's heads have faded but not gone green, yet, but some are chipping or slipping paint.



You can just put those ugly decoys in a box and send them to me. I'll bet I can find a use for them. :lol3:


I'd be afraid to know how many decoys are laying around this place waiting for me to get up the nerve to start painting.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
User avatar
Rick Hall
hunter
 
Posts: 13873
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 pm

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Mean Gene » Sun May 18, 2014 7:21 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Mean Gene wrote:
I'd be afraid to know how many decoys are laying around this place waiting for me to get up the nerve to start painting.


Heck Rick...just do it. Honestly, what do you have to lose?
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Someplace

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Mean Gene » Sun May 18, 2014 7:27 am

woodduck31 wrote: It can hold things together by encapsulating the decoy, much like just putting on another skin, but the problem isn't the paint, the problem is the plastic surface wasn't prepared properly.


Good info Don. I can prep the surface and lay down a base coat so it won't disintegrate, so that part isn't much of an issue. I was more curious as to any benefits to be had by clear coating the paint on a decoy that had been properly prepped and painted. I experimented a little with the Krylon flat finish clear coat, but I'm going to do some more. I do know that stuff will remove the shine off anything....like the glossy eyes I'd painted. Oops! :lol3:
User avatar
Mean Gene
hunter
 
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:16 pm
Location: Someplace

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Alex.18 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:27 am

I just bought a couple dozen brand new GHG pro grades and want to clear coat them just for a little extra durability and i want to make sure i get the process right. Im going to use clear krylon 1311 matte. Im going to set about a dozen at a time in the sun for about an hour or so to get them hot then spray them with about 3 or 4 coats. If there happens to be and glossy spots after the clear coat dries i will lightly sand the spot with some scotch brite. The only question i have is before i spray the decoys, should i wipe them down with a rag with a little alcohol on them? Im sure i know the obvious answer but just as a peice of mind, i would like a second or third opinion
Alex.18
hunter
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:34 pm

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby mudpack » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:10 am

woodduck31 wrote:clear coat has minimal benefit. .

I agree 101% with that statement.

woodduck31 wrote:we don't get very many higdon or dakota decoys in for repair and painting and that's a good indicator of the durability of their paint.

It also might be an indicator of the relative (un)popularity of those two brands. :wink:
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6189
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby m3500 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:25 am

woodduck31 wrote:clear coat has minimal benefit. It can hold things together by encapsulating the decoy, much like just putting on another skin, but the problem isn't the paint, the problem is the plastic surface wasn't prepared properly. Very few decoy companies have consistent surface prep. From a durability standpoint we don't get very many higdon or dakota decoys in for repair and painting and that's a good indicator of the durability of their paint. Higdon has some of the best prices on decoys around, especially for a foam filled decoy at $60 and $70 a dozen.

What would you say the most common brand of decoy to come in to the shop is woodduck?
If it flies it dies, if it just sits there it dies too.
m3500
hunter
 
Posts: 142
Joined: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:23 pm
Location: Central, PA

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:43 pm

for paint issues GHG for sure then hardcore, tanglefree, and flambeau. GHG are surely the most common decoy, so I'd suspect the numbers would be up there at the top anyway. What I find with most brands is inconsistency. We might have 8 decoys in a dozen that are just fine and 4 that lose half their paint, it's probably due to ineffective surface prep practices. The newer GHG seem to be much better in paint durability. We've never had a bad higdon, new or used, though we get quite a few of them sent to us new for flocking. We have had quite a few dakotas sent in to fix the flocking on the heads, but the paint seems pretty sound on them. The prices on the higdons intrigues me, they are pretty reasonable, especially the price on the foam filled ones.
User avatar
woodduck31
hunter
 
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:05 am

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:13 pm

I won a half dozen full body Higdon Mallards a month ago at our DU banquet, and they are a very nice looking decoy. The drakes scarcely saw the light of day before they were sporting a new wardrobe of flock.
One of the two hens was the one I chose to experiment colors and technique of application on, but she's done now too. Her sister is in the mix with the GHGs and others that are being done right now.
I like the Higdon decoys, but can't speck for durability of the factory paint.
I need to look into the Higdon floaters for the price I see them listed for.
Another dozen large floaters with what I have now would be nice.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:14 pm

I won a half dozen full body Higdon Mallards a month ago at our DU banquet, and they are a very nice looking decoy. The drakes scarcely saw the light of day before they were sporting a new wardrobe of flock.
One of the two hens was the one I chose to experiment colors and technique of application on, but she's done now too. Her sister is in the mix with the GHGs and others that are being done right now.
I like the Higdon decoys, but can't speck for durability of the factory paint.
I need to look into the Higdon floaters for the price I see them listed for.
Another dozen large floaters with what I have now would be nice.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter
 
Posts: 1229
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby WarrenG » Fri Jul 04, 2014 4:20 pm

They're really not that popular,but have you looked at the Drake decoy line? I can tell you that they do move good on the water. I like mine a lot.
WarrenG
hunter
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Re: Best bang for your buck decoys?

Postby Sonoma County Harvesters » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:34 am

I'm a refuge rat and pack 30 decoys on my back in the mesh bag. I beat my decoys harder than a redheaded step child. I bought my first GHG hot buys 8 years ago and haven't gotten any more in 6 years. I have close to 3 dozen or so and I have left em out all season at the rice blind and packed em in on my back. I have to say the new GHG hot buys look different than mine, it looks like they are using some different paint which doesn't look hearty. But I have no problem killing birds with these deeks .
Sonoma County Harvesters
hunter
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:33 pm

Previous

Return to Duck Decoy Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests