Duck Hunting Forum banner

Jerk Strings

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  MDcanvasback2189 
#1 ·
hey i just bought 3 dozen decoys. 2 dozen real image and an assortment pack from greenhead gear. Anyway i would like to put in two jerk strings, but i want to make them myself and fairly cheaply. What do you guys use. and anyway you could show a drawling or picture to make what you are saying sense. thanks

#2 ·
i
i bungee cord
i-----------------------------decoy ___________rope_______________me
i
i
ipole
i
I hope this makes sense :huh:
I use the pole instead of a weight, the pole doubles as a robo pole and its lighter to carry out.
If you tie the bungee to the bottom of the pole before you push it in the mud the decoy will do a diving motion. causing way more ripples

#3 ·
here is what I use.

me ----string ---loop---loop---loop---loop---loop---loop-- string ----bungee---anchor.

String goes on a kite winder and I have long line clips on 4 goose and 4 duck decoys. Tie loops every 6' on the cord and pull and release slowly when you see birds.

#4 ·
MD, just a little info. Those Real Image deeks don`t react well on a jek string. Maybe it`s thier size or shape. I used some chead Flam`s insted.

STUMP

#5 ·
I don't use the bungee and anchor stake anymore. with the stake, the jerk string is just below the surface and every time my dog makes a retrieve he seems to wallk right thru it and it winds up a pain... Also, you have to pre-load the bungee so it's ready to be released whenever a flock shows up, or if not pre-laoded, you then have move your hand quite a bit to get any motion.

so I have gone back to the simpler system of a heavy anchor, say three to five pounds, with the decoy string going down and through an eye-bolt embedded in the anchor, and then to my hand. this keeps the pull string on the bottom of the pond out of harms way, and small tugs on the string sends out motion ripples. I pour my own drift boat anchors and make a few in the 5 pound range so I can have 2 or 3 motion dekes set up on still water, and when I hunt the river with stron current, I use one 5 pounder and string 3 or 4 goose or duck decoys in series to a single anchor. (if this makes sense)

Of course you should be hunting out of a boat if your hauling all this weight around, but you can make you own anchors using eye-bolts and concrete using a can or cottage cheese container as the anchor mold.

#6 ·
Thanks guys! Didnt expect this much info, i will definatly put some of it to use.

Hey Stump

I kno what you mean about the Real Images working wierd, i have a couple greenhead gear l/s or my buddy will give me a couple of his old G&H decs he rarely uses. Either way those Real Images look awesome lol

thanks!

MD

#7 ·
MD, yes my friend you are correct. Those deeks DO look awsome. Mack sure you get a slotted decoy bag for them. It`s a small investment that will keep those deeks good for years

STUMP

#9 ·
I got another one. It's the feeding goose.

I have a 60 pound anchor made of cement with a clip on it. The goose decoy has a screw eye in it's chest at the water line with a carabeaner (SP?) clip. String goes from the boat, through the anchor and to the decoy.

I use it in a river. Give it slack and it flaots down stream. I pull it and it swims up stream. When it gets to the anchor and hard pull makes it dive forward like it feeding and I can make it bounce and make lots of ripples.

Oh yea, and the geese love it.

#10 ·
Howdy Y'all...
I like what I saw on the new RNT dvd. They use the "bungee-line -decoy- line- me set-up, but they make loops in the line and place these over the heads of the decoys. The loops on the necks causes the deeks to really splash and cause a commotion. Little movement and lots of action seem to be the ticket. Each decoy has it's own anchor, and its more of a ripple effect than a swimming motion.
Just my $.02... Good Luck, and good Huntin'... Rooterduck

#11 ·
MDcanvasback2189 said:
Stump, you really think that they would need a slotted bag for them? I have just the Avery Pothole Bags... o well its a good idea for a christmas gift until then will have to be careful

MD
A decy bag is cheaper than replacing or repainting deeks. This will be year two on the Real images and they look as good as new.

STUMP

#13 ·
MDcanvasback2189 said:
stump,

very true i am heading up towards the Waterfowl Classic this weekend so i will probably pick two of them up, I also have some greenhead gear dekes, i think those will be fine in the pothole bags though.
MD, just get the regular slotted bags not the padded ones. I bought the paded ones thinking it would be alot better. All it did was add more weight in the boat and make it harder to fold up. Save the $20 brother

STUMP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.