Duck Hunting Forum banner

float a spinning wing decoy?

5K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  DUKHTR 
#1 ·
this is my first post here! hope the spirit of duck hunting keep's this site growing,my question is i hunt a large man made lake near my home,it's deep water drops off from island i hunt .i have two spinning wing decoy's motorized ,has anyone mounted these to a floating board etc.and had luck? like with decoy not naturely pointing into wind the effect of the wings spinning ?thanks d.g.

#2 ·
I've made one using two pieces 1/2 marine plywood and 3" ridgid insulation glued every thing together with gorilla glue. I drilled a 1/2" hole dead center for 1/2 copper pipe to mount to spinner to, sodder a tee and use strapping to screw to bottom piece of plywood before putting everything together. I then primed and painted it to look like a rock. add a small keel to tie off a anchor line to. I added six 1/4"x 4 1/2 carriage bolts to hold the sandwich together (over kill) the base is 36" x 36" and is about 8 to 10 pounds, the copper piece is 18" tall and more and it tips over.

Brampus

#6 ·
I did similar to above 'contraption'.....will use for seaducks....not motorized but I am sure that a mojo rig could be attached in similar fashion.....as a reference check URE A DUK (I think that's the site name) and see their floater

I used 1x4 and foamer decoys from lobster pot bouys.....weight will hang from a center eye under the decoy so that ballast will offset and tipping....have not had on ocean yet, will f/up on effectiveness of the design.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.