Shooting Ducks over Goose Decoys

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, DUKHTR, fowlhunter, Remman

Shooting Ducks over Goose Decoys

Postby justinmi » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:04 am

I've been reading bout some hunters hunting ducks with a %90 Goose/%10 Duck floater decoy ratio on water and they say that ducks just pitch right in. Most of what I have read occurs up north and the goose decoys used are canadas. I live in Texas and like to hunt the coastal marsh of the upper coast on a few of the refuges and the goose mainly seen there is snows. I never hunted geese, but was thinking it would be really sweet to throw out some snow floaters and a few duck dekes and still put a hurting on the ducks and maybe bag a few token geese while Im at it. The articles I have read though say they put out anywhere from 4-6 doz floater goose dekes. Has anyone on here ever tried this with snow dekes and roughly how many decoys did you put out? I was just curious if anyone had luck shooting ducks over snow dekes in Texas before I go blow some serious cash on some goose floaters. Thanks in advance guys.
Lifetime Band Count 2008-Present: 1
justinmi
hunter

Re: Shooting Ducks over Goose Decoys

Postby noweil » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:54 am

I will tell you right off that I don't hunt snows. I hunt Canadas and ducks. I have been using Canada goose decoys to hunt ducks and geese for years. With my little spreads I use 3-11 goose floate decoys and sometimes put 2-3 mallard decoys close to where I'm calling from. So before you spend a bunch of money on decoys maybe try some small spreads. My little spreads have killed lots of geese and ducks.
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby noweil » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:05 pm

I used this small spread for much of one season just to see how it worked. That spread killed over 100 birds, ducks and geese in 2011.
2011-11-27_09.42.41.jpg
One four pack of Big Foots
2011-11-27_09.42.41.jpg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 962 times

The spread below is a big spread for me and it killed lots of ducks and geese.
decoys on river 12-09.jpg
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby blackrock » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:27 pm

image.jpg
We shot hundreds of ducks over a spread like this all season. Mallards, Pintails, Gadwalls and Wigeons. A few divers come by for a look too. It doesn't even matter if we put out duck decoys, works without them. Obviously geese come in too. Can't speak to the Snow decoys but I bet it would work just fine. Sees to me the ducks are just looking for company, rafts of birds on the water. One advantage of goose decoys (even regular size floaters) is they are more visible.
blackrock
hunter

Postby noweil » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:48 am

blackrock wrote:
image.jpg
We shot hundreds of ducks over a spread like this all season. Mallards, Pintails, Gadwalls and Wigeons. A few divers come by for a look too. It doesn't even matter if we put out duck decoys, works without them. Obviously geese come in too. Can't speak to the Snow decoys but I bet it would work just fine. Sees to me the ducks are just looking for company, rafts of birds on the water. One advantage of goose decoys (even regular size floaters) is they are more visible.

Blackrock, I love those floating super mag G&H shells. It takes me back to my college days when guys I new had floated a couple dozen super mag shells. They wore waders and black coats and stood right in the decoys to hunt.
noweil
hunter

Postby mudpack » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:17 pm

blackrock wrote: See(m)s to me the ducks are just looking for company, rafts of birds on the water. One advantage of goose decoys (even regular size floaters) is they are more visible.

I tend to agree. I've killed lots of ducks over a mixed spread of duck/goose decoys. Never have put out a spread of only goose decoys for ducks, but it should work.
Will it work better than a spread of just duck decoys, for ducks?? I doubt it, but probably almost as well.

I do a lot of observation on the nearby refuges, both during the hunting seasons and outside the seasons. I have noticed this...here at least....if there are 5000 Canadas sitting on the east side of a big pool and 5000 ducks sitting on the south side, the geese will drop into the group of Canadas and the ducks drop into the crowd of ducks.
For this reason, I don't believe geese have a bigger draw for ducks than ducks do.

That said, both the increased visibility (more on that later) and the fact that ducks have seen 50 times more pure duck decoy spreads than goose decoy spreads may be a plus for a goose/mixed spread.

However, given the cost and bulkiness of goose floaters, you can put out a MUCH larger spread of duck decoys for the same amount of money and the same amount of carrying space/weight than you can goose decoys....so the visibility of the larger $1000 spread of duck decoys may equal or be even better than the visibility of a smaller $1000 goose spread.

What is better for decoying ducks: three dozen duck decoys or one dozen goose floaters? So far, there's no clear winner, but I know which way I go: duck decoys for ducks, goose decoys for geese. I have excellent results with that method and see no reason to change at this point in my life.
Last edited by mudpack on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby justinmi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:00 am

Thanks guys for the input, Im going to give it a try next season and will probably start with a dozen snow floaters and a few duck decoys. Im hoping that I can shoot a few snows with one of these spreads along with lots of ducks, but more importantly I hope a unique spread like this can give me an edge over the other guys that hunt the area and fool some of the spread educated wary ducks that make it to the Texas Coast.
justinmi
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Let us know next year at this time how it worked out for you, okay?
mudpack
hunter

Postby justinmi » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:44 pm

mudpack wrote:Let us know next year at this time how it worked out for you, okay?

I will most definitely revive this thread and let yall know how it plays out next season. I might actually throw em out during early teal season for experimental purposes to see how the blue wings, mottled ducks, and other early arrivals respond to them. Till then enjoy the off season!
justinmi
hunter

Postby blackrock » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:31 pm

image.jpg
Here you go, not a duck decoy in sight (except the one that holds the bridle anchor line up!)...... Gonna set up on the water for Specks and Snows next. Duck season is closed but it will be interesting to see if they come in!
blackrock
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:08 pm

are these floating shells, like foam filled?
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby noweil » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:29 pm

Honk-n-quack wrote:are these floating shells, like foam filled?

No. They take super magnum goose shells and put foam pipe insulation around the bottom edge of the shell.
noweil
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:47 pm

Yep, that!
blackrock
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum