pintail hen foamer

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

pintail hen foamer

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:28 pm

this is a burlapped foamer pintail with a quick and dirty gunner paint job.

woodduck31
hunter

Re: pintail hen foamer

Postby jscheirer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 pm

Paint needs work.... like you said it was quick and dirty.

JUST KIDDING. Your work amazes me and inspired me to start carving (at least attempting to). Thank you.
jscheirer
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:24 pm

just about anything I do with an airbrush I consider quick and dirty. I painted this one in about 30 minutes, basically a production paint job. I have a few decorative birds in the works right now that will require hand brush work. I'm looking forward to some of the next few projects, pushing the limits with carved foam with a mandarin duck and sage grouse. I like to get some of the new techniques figured out before heading into more complex work.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:42 am

I'm looking to try epoxy resin over burlap soon....a friend of mine did epoxy and sawdust and they have a really nice shell.....but I can't believe that'll last...
If the resin-burlap method works well, I can see that being truly armored....
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:54 am

I've never used the epoxy resin, I'm not really sure how they do that, but it should be tough. I still do the traditional tile adhesive over burlap on my foamers.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:24 am

woodduck31 wrote:I've never used the epoxy resin, I'm not really sure how they do that, but it should be tough. I still do the traditional tile adhesive over burlap on my foamers.

I've done that too, BUT.....is it easier, neater and more durable....you just mix up a batch, paint it on, lay your burlap on it and then, you can either let it dry then do another top coat, or do the top coat right away...anything that comes out chunky...you can grind it down and then reapply...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:06 pm

I am running Titebond III and sawdust single restle decoys. They are plenty tough and should last 20 to 30 years before needing a touch up on the coatings. Paint of course will need more work. A double restle is far tougher and comes close to burlap. Durability is another subject that can vary for both methods based on time in the water every season, etc... A proper restle coat is waterproof by itself. Priming and painting only increases the protection. The same is not true for burlap and mastic. That method relies on primers and paints to seal the surface and keep water break down from occurring.

I am not saying one or the other is better. Just simply pointing out some of the many variations we can all expect.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:48 pm

I've done restle coat before and I am not a fan of the finish, it doesn't suit my painting style.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby muskrat24 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:04 pm

Regardless that is a beautiful foamer Woodduck31
muskrat24
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 pm

woodduck31 wrote:I've done restle coat before and I am not a fan of the finish, it doesn't suit my painting style.

So what is that Pintail? Burlap?? I find mine to be like trying to paint a waffle........
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:30 pm

the pintail is a carved foam, covered in burlapped with acrylpro tile adhesive. The bill, tail and eye sets are done with apoxie sculpt, nothing new. Basically just like the process I've been using for over 10 years now. I just keep putting more and more detail in them. All the processes are in the various tutorials around the web on various forums.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby MassDecoyCarver » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:28 am

nice work as always, even the 'quick' paint scheme is great, and probably more than required for a gunner !
MassDecoyCarver
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:32 am

definitely more than would be required for a gunner. The guy who is getting it requested a basic paint job, so I spent a good 30 minutes on this one. My son always complains that I mess around too much when I paint, so I guess I'm not fast enough to satisfy him. I wouldn't hunt this one anyway, I won't use a decoy that isn't flocked anymore.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:53 am

Here are my blacks...definitely more rudimentary...but mean to be so...gunners
Attachments
BurlBlacks.jpg
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:30 pm

There's nothing wrong with those. They are certainly good for hunting.

My point of view is probably more one of obsession than function. I literally can't help myself in going overboard at times, I just love what I do. My dad always seems to think I'm going to get tired of doing this kind of stuff, and he stills asks regularly even though I've been at it now for 33 years. I think he's waiting for me to get a "real" job. When I have the opportunity to do something without a deadline or price point I just do the best job I can, irregardless of whether or not I think it will bring more ducks in. It's a far different concept than production painting and that is all that was requested on the pintail hen. I hear so much talk about over doing the details, almost like folks want me to dumb it down some and that's fine for some, but not for me. I always want my next decoy to be better than my last and to continue to develop new techniques to make things more realistic and more effective. I'm an artist and I do this because I must, not because it pays the bills, I'd be doing the same thing on my days off if I had a "real" job. I know how lucky I am to be able to do this and don't take it for granted. What is falderal for some is artistry and creativity to me. Push the limits of your chosen medium and see where it takes you.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:38 pm

woodduck31 wrote:There's nothing wrong with those.

Wow....thanks.... :no:
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby derbyfreak » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Hey guys really getting interested in trying to make some of these. I have read up and watched a few you tube videos on the basics. my question is, is there in carving forums or good websites where a guy can get some more info.
derbyfreak
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:13 pm

your best bet would be working decoys forum for information and help.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby derbyfreak » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:26 pm

thanks I will check it out
derbyfreak
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum