How many mojo's

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, fowlhunter, Remman, DUKHTR

How many mojo's

Postby Bcb112487 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Has anyone noticed lately that the question is not ,mojo's or not, but instead it seems like the question is how many mojo's? I have had days where 1 mojo may turn ducks off, but add 2more and they are locked in. I also notice other hunters with a pile of mojo's running.
Bcb112487
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:40 pm


Re: How many mojo's

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:50 pm

I don't hunt with mojo's myself... but whenever I'm set up near someone else and they're running mojo's.. the ducks pick my spread 9 out of 10 times. I'm not too sure ducks looking for a landing spot really like the idea of other ducks speedily flapping away... just my experience, but I don't use 'em... If had them I'd put them where I don't want the ducks to land... back in the other guys spread!


If I was going to buy an expensive gimmick I'd opt for one of those auto-jerk lines or whatever those things are that make your decoys swim all over. But the old school 10 cent jerk rope works fine.


Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: How many mojo's

Postby Bcb112487 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:28 pm

I am with you on the jerk cord, nothing better. However, I do use mojos, wish I cld say I didn't because I like the idea but I have killed many of duck over them. Guess I like all the motion I can get. I sometimes wonder where it ends though.
Bcb112487
hunter
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:40 pm

Re: How many mojo's

Postby mudpack » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:47 am

I think every hunter should have...and use....at least five mojos. No remotes, no interupters.....constant flashing all morning. If you aren't using lots of mojos, you ain't getting all the ducks you deserve.



Mojo Pro Staffer
mudpack
hunter
 
Posts: 6051
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 am
Location: Central Kansas

Re: How many mojo's

Postby Mugzwump » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:46 pm

mudpack wrote:I think every hunter should have...and use....at least five mojos. No remotes, no interupters.....constant flashing all morning. If you aren't using lots of mojos, you ain't getting all the ducks you deserve.



Mojo Pro Staffer


Honestly I would try 'em but they're a hundred bucks each... if all I hunted was ducks then I'd probably own one or two already. Maybe someday.


Mugz
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: How many mojo's

Postby DKMF » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:30 pm

I am really starting to think in order to be different you run zero spinning wing decoys. A little bit of water movemont and good calling goes a long ways.
DKMF
hunter
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:40 pm
Location: Slunts Crossing, WI

Re: How many mojo's

Postby War Wagon » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:04 pm

I love mine but to keep them running all the time ? The batteries will not last that long, :no: I put new ones in every year now. YOU MUST turn them off when geese come, so are you going to get over there and turn them off in time ? :no: We use remotes on them all. Some times when ducks are getting mojo shy we pulse them on and off, it works :smile:
In the States we run 5 or more, in Canada we only need 3 at max

I love my MoJo's... :clapping:
Attachments
MoJo Decoys.JPG
The "Boys at Rest"
User avatar
War Wagon
hunter
 
Posts: 987
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Green Bay Wisconsin

Re: How many mojo's

Postby Cankiller90 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:21 pm

I wouldn't piss on a mojo if it was on fire there useless


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cankiller90
hunter
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: How many mojo's

Postby Cankiller90 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:22 pm

With exception of teal they work great with teal


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cankiller90
hunter
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Re: How many mojo's

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:30 pm

DKMF wrote:I am really starting to think in order to be different you run zero spinning wing decoys. A little bit of water movemont and good calling goes a long ways.


Yes. However, early in the season, Teal and Wood Ducks love them. Late in the season, we will run them at first light while the summer ducks fly, then pull them when the Mallards and Gaddies start flying :thumbsup:

If big ducks are flaring off them, pull them and put out a squirter butt and jerk rig :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1872
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: How many mojo's

Postby xtrema13 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:42 pm

How have you kept your feet so perfect!!?!!?!


Sent from my Tim Grounds Super Mag
User avatar
xtrema13
hunter
 
Posts: 356
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:20 am

Re: How many mojo's

Postby Mugzwump » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:25 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
DKMF wrote:I am really starting to think in order to be different you run zero spinning wing decoys. A little bit of water movemont and good calling goes a long ways.


Yes. However, early in the season, Teal and Wood Ducks love them.


In early season the little puddler ducks would love a basketball with a big 'ol smiley face painted on it floating around the marsh! They're just downright curious. It's when you start shooting at them that they high tail it. :lol3:

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: How many mojo's

Postby Bryce_Decker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:38 am

NONE, If I had to use one I'd quit hunting.
Bryce_Decker
hunter
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:10 pm

Re: How many mojo's

Postby Stish85 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:27 pm

Really it all depends on your area and what others are using around you. Do what it takes to make your spread different than the guy next to you. I always bring out mojo's, jerk rigs, quiver magents, confidence decoys etc whatever I have that creates motion or makes my spread different. If other guys have mojo's out I start without them and go from there and visa versa. I will say that if birds are flaring the first thing I pull is the mojo's. I hunt a large bay and if there is wind and good wave action I don't put mojo's out, the waves create the best action I have seen.

One great example is once I used only 2 hot buy mallards and 2 mojo's. It was late in the season just before freeze up and everyone in my area was using huge spreads of divers and mallards. I thought what the heck I'm going to really make sure that my spread is different. We didn't limit but we came close and were just about the only guys who got shooting that day.

Bottom line give yourself plenty of options, there are so many new and old tricks for us to use.
Stish85
hunter
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am

Re: How many mojo's

Postby Mugzwump » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:08 pm

Stish85 wrote:Really it all depends on your area and what others are using around you. Do what it takes to make your spread different than the guy next to you. I always bring out mojo's, jerk rigs, quiver magents, confidence decoys etc whatever I have that creates motion or makes my spread different. If other guys have mojo's out I start without them and go from there and visa versa. I will say that if birds are flaring the first thing I pull is the mojo's. I hunt a large bay and if there is wind and good wave action I don't put mojo's out, the waves create the best action I have seen.

One great example is once I used only 2 hot buy mallards and 2 mojo's. It was late in the season just before freeze up and everyone in my area was using huge spreads of divers and mallards. I thought what the heck I'm going to really make sure that my spread is different. We didn't limit but we came close and were just about the only guys who got shooting that day.

Bottom line give yourself plenty of options, there are so many new and old tricks for us to use.


That is really pretty much it right there. Only time I use all my decoys is when I'm the only guy out there... as soon as there are guys running big spreads I cut mine down to 6-12 birds or spread it out really really wide so it looks more like 3 or 4 flocks with good space all around. Still not sold on the mojo.

Mugz.
Mugzwump
hunter
 
Posts: 398
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm
Location: CANADA

Re: How many mojo's

Postby Stish85 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:38 pm

Mugzwump wrote:
Stish85 wrote:Really it all depends on your area and what others are using around you. Do what it takes to make your spread different than the guy next to you. I always bring out mojo's, jerk rigs, quiver magents, confidence decoys etc whatever I have that creates motion or makes my spread different. If other guys have mojo's out I start without them and go from there and visa versa. I will say that if birds are flaring the first thing I pull is the mojo's. I hunt a large bay and if there is wind and good wave action I don't put mojo's out, the waves create the best action I have seen.

One great example is once I used only 2 hot buy mallards and 2 mojo's. It was late in the season just before freeze up and everyone in my area was using huge spreads of divers and mallards. I thought what the heck I'm going to really make sure that my spread is different. We didn't limit but we came close and were just about the only guys who got shooting that day.

Bottom line give yourself plenty of options, there are so many new and old tricks for us to use.


That is really pretty much it right there. Only time I use all my decoys is when I'm the only guy out there... as soon as there are guys running big spreads I cut mine down to 6-12 birds or spread it out really really wide so it looks more like 3 or 4 flocks with good space all around. Still not sold on the mojo.

Mugz.


Yeah, I used to use them alot, but I find myself using them less and less every year. They just don't have the same wow factor to ducks anymore now that they see them in almost every spread or so it seems. I took some of the motors from old ones and put them on floaters to make them splash and swim, so I will have to see how that works next season. The joys of using a boat to get to my spot, I can bring as much stuff as I want out so I never have to show the same look twice.
Stish85
hunter
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 11:26 am


Return to Duck Decoy Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests