Duck Hunting Forum banner

deke help in minnesota

995 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  crewchief252 
#1 ·
hey guys...duck opener in minnesota this saturday. im an experienced field goose hunter......yet kinda green to ducks on water. need some advice........hunting a few lakes in the area that hold good numbers of mallards, g.w. teal, ringnecks, buffs, and blubills. i have 2 dozen mallard dekes, 4 sleepers, and 2 butts. i have a dozen teal dekes, and 6 blubills. in addition, i have 6 floater goose dekes. what would be an effective set up, im sure you get asked this a million x's. had a good early goose season. but want to get in2 more action. do i mix divers puddlers? do i want goose dekes around? i know the j or sloppy v...... any more tidbits? more ducks this year than the last few.......let me know guys, any extra advice is appreciated.....have access to buy more stuff if needed. let me know.....mojo's work? is it a good idea to mix mallard and teal together? isee em hang out from time to time

#2 ·
The number of decoys that you have should be plenty for opening weekend action. I would set the mallards and the teal in two loose groups with a landing zone in between. Place the geese off to the side somewhere. The bluebills are kind of coin toss. You could place 2 or 3 on the outside edge of your spread or you could leave them home - it probably won't make much of a difference. The mojo decoys do work, but please keep in mind that motorized decoys are not allowed in Minnesota until after Oct. 6th.

#3 ·
thanx 4 the tid bit. with the 2 loose groups ( teal & mallard) would i use the j or c? or just put 1group of each on both sides of the blind, with the open hole (landing zone) right in front? and loose meaning....? spaced out a couple feet? dont blue bill rigs have to be line rigs? or can they be set like regular duck decoys. and how do you set the rigs with lets say 6 or 8 bills per rig.....thanx so much. people like you make this website totally kick ass....whack em an stack em boys.........if it flies it dies.......and yeah i read the rule book on the motorized dekes. surprised they r even legal at all

#4 ·
I would lean more toward having one group on each side of the blind. However, that assumes you have the wind at your back. For a crosswind, you would want more decoys on the up wind side and a small group on the downwind side. By loose I am talking about the spacing - just try to keep things looking natural - try to avoid defined edges or the appearance of the decoys being lined up. Bluebills can be set with individual weights or on a long line. If you do a search for long lines you will find a bunch of information on that.

#5 ·
Howdy Y'all...
Good luck, hope you smoke'em this weekend.
We try to use some divers for color when we hunt big lakes. That flash of white seems to attract attention very well. If we are hunting a pothole where you would not see a diver, then we don't use them. I agree that a couple bunches around the "kill hole" is the ticket. We use the divers to the outside of the spread to attract any passing divers.
Good Luck, and Good Huntin'... Rooterduck

#6 ·
will divers naturally hang with puddlers? thanx for the info.......so some mallards, teal and a few divers like you's said should get some attention. well early goose got my rust out....if they drop the landing gear or even pass by to shoot.....they're frigggen toast......... :yes:

#7 ·
i hunt one inland lake that has both puddlers and divers in it, bit i have never seen them together, i hunt puddlers near or from the shore, and divers usually stay more toward the middle of the lake, doesnt mean it doesnt happen, i've just never seen it, i usually do all my diver hunting in the bay, and i am usually anywhere from 1/4 to a mile from shore, there are blackies down there, and almost never come out to the diver deeks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.