Duck Hunting Forum banner

line lengths

997 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  sinker 
#1 ·
i have just bought 3 dozen dekes and i have heard every end of the spectrum how much line i should put on them. I have already done a dozen with like 6.5 ft on each.. What do you guys think is the norm? I figured that if 6.5 ft isnt enough them it would be to deep for me to even put them out with waders. Also they are all mallards... thanks
John

#2 ·
However deep the water is works best. If all you are going to hunt is chest deep water (which it sounds like since you are throwing them out with your waders on) then I wouldn't do more then 5 or so feet. why waste line you aren't going to use, its only going to get tangled in the end.

#3 ·
kinda what he said.... as a norm, im 6'4. with almost an 8 ft reach. whenever lining up a deke, i simply tie it to the deke, pull the line up over my head, and there ya go. some where between 6'4 and 8 ft. suffice for waders or maybe spots that are a little outta wader reach....a rarely up here hunt mallards over 8 ft of water.....divers on the other hand......15 ft or more....good luck

#4 ·
I have the same concern, I hunt anyware from 1' to 6' and am always worried about the ducks focusing in on the extra line lying in the water. I have switched about 3 dozen or so to snap swivels and have lines made up in both 3' and 6' and can switch them as needed. the other 3 dozen are 3' tied on so I can only use them in shallow water. do the ducks really notice the line anyway?

#5 ·
I believe, that ducks will only notice a very lite colored line...but then again..I've seen guys use it...and still bags birds. I would use the side of caution, and go with a darker line. The line I put out floats until it gets older and water logged then stays underwater....and it doesn't bother the birds.
Some have also said....that if you hunt sandy areas, and the dark line tends to stick out.....it has never messed me up...but it could happen.
Good luck.

#6 ·
From what I've read and heard....alot of hunters follow the 1' rule. A foot longer then the depth of water you're hunting.
Thats perfect...if you are hunting the same pond, lake, river or marsh.....but I don't.
I use about 5-6 ft...because of all the different places I hunt.
Now, for the guys that hunt tidal areas.....and I use to...I would use anywhere from 6-8'.
I'll tell ya...sometimes...that wasn't enough. :huh: :yes:

#7 ·
I am 6'4 with long arms. I tie onto the decoy, and put on enough line that I can have the deke in one hand and the weight in the other without any hassles. It makes for quick pick ups, as you can grab the decoy and weight in one shot, and makes for quick set up, cause you can unwrap the deke and have the weight in the other hand still.

Just how I do it.

I'd say around 7 ft on all of mine.

Sinker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.