Dakota Decoy

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Dakota Decoy

Postby The Red Zone » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:55 pm

what are your opinions on Dakota decoy's? My dad's friend uses them and I thought they were really nice but also he's a cardiologist. If I can get some good information on how there durability is, what kind of water do you use the decoys in. AKA ponds rivers or creeks. And also how do you store them and what do you use to rig your decoys. If I can get some help that would be great I just don't want a fork over 150 bucks when I can be using that money for other things. I'm not saying i'm on a tight budget but I'm only 16yrs old and I just got my truck that's taking me every were for football and wrestling.
Thanks Collin
The Red Zone
hunter

Re: Dakota Decoy

Postby sooner737 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:18 pm

I rig them with j weights. Store them in dakota slotted bags. Though any slotted bag will be fine. That's only for the flocking though the bodies are rock solid. I use mine in muddy ponds, Creeks and lakes. I promise you don't regret getting them. Any Other Particular Question JUST pm me
sooner737
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Great decoys that look great, and are very durable. BUT there are some much better options out there for somebody on a budget.

I started out like you a few years ago, at age 15/16 buying a few decoys here and there when I could afford it, I've built up my spread a good bit from then. I now own Dakota duck and goose decoys, and LOVE them! But I still have the same GHG lifesize series mallards, pintails, wegions, teal, gadwals, and a few others that I've got over the years. I've learned the hard way to spend a little bit more up front for a good product and it'll last much longer and be cheaper in the end as long as you take care of your stuff. check for sales in local stores that stock GHG decoys and watch for sales and you can have some good decoys at a fair price. You can get 2 doz or more GHG decoy's for the same price. and you should be able to get the Dakota floaters for about $130/135 if you shop around and decide to go that route.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby The Red Zone » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:02 pm

thanks you guys can you texas rig them by any chance and keep them in a slotted bag?
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby mudpack » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:33 am

Of course you can.

I've got to agree with 2500: for a young hunter on a budget, there are much better choices in decoys. Heck, there are better choices for the cardiologist!! ....but that's another subject.

The brand of decoy makes little difference to the ducks. To the duck hunter, yes, but not to the ducks. :thumbsup:
Last edited by mudpack on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
mudpack
hunter

Postby The Red Zone » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:55 am

Thanks for the help when I decide to get decoys I'll let you guys know what I get.
The Red Zone
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 am

I use mine for everything I've had to drag mine on rocks and only thing messed up was the flocking
txhunter90
hunter

Postby MNGunner » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:07 pm

My mallards are rigged with Avery kel grabber weights and stored in a 12 slot bag (with zip top_ and look awesme after two seasons--used on lake and Mississippi River backwaters.

I also have Dakota full body goose decoys. Also in slotted bags.
MNGunner
hunter

Postby Cajun1085 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:04 pm

I like mine. I am going on season number 4. They still look great. Like a lot of folks here I use keel grabbers and put them in a 12 slot bag. I also have there Canada floaters, full bodies and mallard full bodies. The paint is holding up well on all of my decoys. I am also considering there turkey decoys.
GATORTAIL 1646 25GTR

SouthEast Gator-tail
Cajun1085
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum